PASOE 11.6 to 11.7 migration

Posted by dvoyat on 04-May-2017 10:18

Hi,

We've gone through PASOE migration test from 11.6 to 11.7. We've been following Progress recommendation (unregister/register PAS instances and redeploy Web App (.WAR) after spring security migration done sucessfully by PDSOE 11.7).

We've not been able to restart any former 11.6 PASOE instance.

We've then decided to recreate a new PASOE instance from scratch and it worked with the new one having the new .war files deployed.

I then concluded TCMAN/PASMAN unregister / register is not enough to get former PASOE instance compliant with 11.7 (new TomCat version and spring security files).

I then did another set of test. Having another former 11.6 PASOE instance I've gone step by step (as far as I can) to be able to get it running (took several trials and several hours therefore pretty painful).
What I did ;

- overwrite $CATALINA_BASE/conf from $CATALINA_HOME/conf and apply adhoc setting changes to match instance config when required (port, instance name,...) with following files:

- server.xml

- catalina.properties

- catalina.policy

- appserver.properties

- add new config file from $CATALINA_HOME/conf

- oeablSecurity.properties

- reset default certificat truststore from <CATALINA_HOME>/conf/tomcat-certstore.jks

- create and populate accordiingly $CATALINA_BASE/ablapps new folder

I then redeployed our web apps as well as detault ones from $CATALINA_HOME/extras I wanted to add (manager, oemanager).

Updated PASOE instance manage to restart (having say that no guarantee that nothing missed in my own manual conversion) and we shall now going into more testing to understand is the manually updated instance working as good as the recreated one.

Those being test instances I've now a serious worry/concern with our LIVE migration and at this stage we will have to go to instance recreation from scratch (.war redeployed was already understood) at migration as no trust at all in registration to convert PAS instance.

Does anyone has experience where former PASOE instances prior 11.7 can be easily be migrated to 11.7 or did I misread documentation and migration guide https://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/gsmigrate%2Fprogress-application-server-for-openedge-11.7-mi.html%23 ??

We're running PASOE on HPUx (Itanium) but face same issue on Linux (RH/Intel).

Thanks for any comment/experience sharing.

Denis

Posted by David Cleary on 08-May-2017 15:32

Hi Denis,

Unfortunately, we did find that or idealized version of migrating an instance between OpenEdge versions did not work once we updated the version of the Spring Security Framework. So, for 11.6 -> 11.7, you have found the proper migration strategy.

1.       Create a new instance in 11.7

2.       Use PDSOE to migrate your oeabl-based webapps over to 11.7.

The good news is that with our refactoring of the Spring Security configuration files in 11.7, this shouldn’t be an issue moving from 11.7 -> 12.0. However, that doesn’t mean an additional 3rd party library may introduce additional complications we are currently not aware of.

Additionally, you can also manually update an 11.6 instance by updating the Spring Security namespace in your web application’s oeablSecurity-*.xml file. You would still use our old style Spring Security configuration, but it will load properly in an 11.7 environment.

Dave

All Replies

Posted by dvoyat on 05-May-2017 05:24

Hi again

Further test we did were not succesfull at all as no chance to get the re-deployed WEB app working. So migration path for PASOE instance (from 11.6.3 to 11.7) seems to re-create from scratch all existing instances and deploy WEB apps once they've been migrated to new security model using PDSOE 11.7.

Not sure if the recommended and described migration guide Progress documented works fine for other platform (eg Windows) but still hoping to get feedback if anyone has similar experience.

Denis

Posted by David Cleary on 08-May-2017 15:32

Hi Denis,

Unfortunately, we did find that or idealized version of migrating an instance between OpenEdge versions did not work once we updated the version of the Spring Security Framework. So, for 11.6 -> 11.7, you have found the proper migration strategy.

1.       Create a new instance in 11.7

2.       Use PDSOE to migrate your oeabl-based webapps over to 11.7.

The good news is that with our refactoring of the Spring Security configuration files in 11.7, this shouldn’t be an issue moving from 11.7 -> 12.0. However, that doesn’t mean an additional 3rd party library may introduce additional complications we are currently not aware of.

Additionally, you can also manually update an 11.6 instance by updating the Spring Security namespace in your web application’s oeablSecurity-*.xml file. You would still use our old style Spring Security configuration, but it will load properly in an 11.7 environment.

Dave

Posted by dvoyat on 09-May-2017 06:12

Hi Dave

And thanks for your comment. This is really frustrated that Progress does migration documentation which actually doesn't work. Re-creating PASOE instances is not a big issue it's just a matter of saving hours.

Keeping old Spring security in web apps won't avoid recreating PASOE instance and is a temporary work around til the next update in web app via PDSOE.

I think  we will keep our current plan for migration.

Rgds

Denis

Posted by David Cleary on 09-May-2017 09:06

I must be missing something. What is incorrect in our migration documentation? The only requirement is with the migration of your oeabl webapps for the updated Spring Security libraries. With our new config scheme, that should no longer be the case moving forward.

Dave

Posted by dvoyat on 09-May-2017 11:07

Hi Dave,

Bellow is part of "OpenEdge getting started :Migrating to OpenEdge 11.7"

Migrating existing PAS for OpenEdge instances (page 15)

The core Apache Tomcat server was upgraded to Version 8.5.x in the 11.7 release of PAS for OpenEdge.

Because of incompatibility issues with prior versions of Tomcat, 11.6 (and earlier releases) of PAS for OpenEdge

will not run on OpenEdge 11.7.

If you have pre-11.7 instances, you must do the following, after an OpenEdge 11.7 install, before you can run

them:

1. Obtain a list of deployed instances:

proenv> pasman instances

The output will be a list of the alias names of registered instances and the full pathname of the instances'

root directory. You will use this information in the following steps.

2. Stop all running instances. For example:

proenv> pasman stop -I instance-name

3. Using the alias names, unregister each instance:

proenv> pasman unregister alias-name

4. Using the alias name and the full pathname of the root directory, re-register each instance:

proenv> pasman register alias-name pathname

When you re-register the instance, configuration files are automatically updated to the Tomcat version that

is compatible with 11.7.

Once the PAS for OpenEdge instance is updated and can run on 11.7, any deployed web applications must

also be updated. Use Progress Developer Studio to perform the updates. See Progress Developer Studio for

OpenEdge Migration Tasks on page 17 for more information.

This could be my misunderstanding but this leaves me under impression that 11.7 re-registration  does the "compatibility" migration.This is where confusion came.

PDSOE instructions was ok.

Anyway sounds clear what to do now.

Rgds

Denis

Posted by David Cleary on 09-May-2017 12:10

Thanks

Dave

This thread is closed