More than < value > characters in a single statement--

Posted by Dominik Loewenstein on 06-Apr-2017 07:03

When i try to check syntax or compile i'll gert this error. The kb solution (-inp 32000) want fix it.
I think it is coused by a long temp table definition.

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 10-Apr-2017 03:52

Where in Developer Studio did you set the -inp?

For the entire workspace, you set it at:

Window --> Preferences --> Progress OpenEdge --> Startup

In that screen is a "Default startup parameters" field where you can add -inp (or update it) if you need to.

The workspace setting can also be overridden in the project. Right click the project and go to:

Properties --:> Progress OpenEdge.

There is a box to enter startup parameters and a check box (Add default parameters) to indicate if the workspace preference must be included. If you set this for the workspace, make sure the "Add default parameters" is checked.

Try "-inp 32000" for a start, but if that does not work, increase it in increments of 8000. The max value in 11.6 is 2147483647, but that value implies a source file with one statement of 2GB!

All Replies

Posted by AdrianJones on 06-Apr-2017 07:08

could you split the definition?

def temp-table tt_part1

field a1 as cha

field a2 as cha

field a3 as cha.

def temp-table tt_complete like tt_part1

field z1 as cha

field z2 as cha

field z3 as cha

index....

Posted by Dominik Loewenstein on 07-Apr-2017 00:19

the fields of the TT are in an include file, maybe it would work with your split TT but i think split the include file in 2 include files dont fix the problem. The compiler would interpret the splited include files like the include of 1 file.

Is it possible to suppress the error ?

Posted by Robin Brown on 07-Apr-2017 07:55

No, it is not possible to suppress the error.  The compiler cannot create usable r-code for the procedure.

Posted by Dominik Loewenstein on 10-Apr-2017 02:32

With procedure editor i have no problems only in developer studio.

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 10-Apr-2017 03:52

Where in Developer Studio did you set the -inp?

For the entire workspace, you set it at:

Window --> Preferences --> Progress OpenEdge --> Startup

In that screen is a "Default startup parameters" field where you can add -inp (or update it) if you need to.

The workspace setting can also be overridden in the project. Right click the project and go to:

Properties --:> Progress OpenEdge.

There is a box to enter startup parameters and a check box (Add default parameters) to indicate if the workspace preference must be included. If you set this for the workspace, make sure the "Add default parameters" is checked.

Try "-inp 32000" for a start, but if that does not work, increase it in increments of 8000. The max value in 11.6 is 2147483647, but that value implies a source file with one statement of 2GB!

Posted by Dominik Loewenstein on 10-Apr-2017 04:51

Thx, that fixed my problem, i only added the -inp command to the db startup

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 11-Apr-2017 21:29

How many bytes long is the entire temp-table definition?

32,000 / 80 chars per line = 400 lines ... if you max out that you may want to reconsider why you need such a large temp-table.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 11-Apr-2017 21:29

No it isn’t.  The error is telling you that the statement is too long to compile.  If we suppressed it what would you expect to happen?

It sounds like the best answer is to switch to a dynamic temp-table.

This thread is closed