Grouping tables

Posted by goo on 21-Mar-2017 11:25

OE116

Is there a way of grouping tables within a db without changing their names? I got 20 new tables that I need to add into an exsisting db, and would like to i.e dump them or find them easy within dbdict tool....

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 21-Mar-2017 12:18

Or you could use _file._category - see community.progress.com/.../9158 for Gus' blessing.

All Replies

Posted by goo on 21-Mar-2017 11:34

Sorry, I ment I would like to find them easy when i.e I need to dump them or find them between all the other tables.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 21-Mar-2017 11:42
Posted by goo on 21-Mar-2017 11:50

Normally I would add a prefix on the tables that I would Group, but this time I am not able to do that. I was thinking of adding a number that was higher then the last table that allready is in the db. Since I need to use the code that is built for the tables, I am not able to add the prefix. I was hoping there was other ways....

Posted by Wouter Dupré on 21-Mar-2017 11:59

You could put something in the table description field and select on that. I doubt there will be an index on it, but the number of tables should be limited anyway. At least it wouldn't disrupt any code.

Posted by goo on 21-Mar-2017 12:02

Thanx, I can live with that :-)

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 21-Mar-2017 12:18

Or you could use _file._category - see community.progress.com/.../9158 for Gus' blessing.

Posted by George Potemkin on 21-Mar-2017 12:51

> I got 20 new tables that I need to add into an exsisting db, and would like to i.e dump them or find them easy within dbdict tool....

I'd put all these tables in "baby area" while they're growing up - just to collect the reliable statistics abaout their characters (the mean rec sizes etc). Then I'd move them to the areas with the suitable RPB/BPC.

You can use _File._Last-modified field to find the recently created/modified tables.

Posted by goo on 21-Mar-2017 12:56

Thanks Stefan and George :-)

I really liked the _category ... that was what I hoped for !!

This thread is closed