PROGRESS OpenEdge 32Bits 11.6 - SYSTEM ERROR

Posted by Support Technique on 15-Mar-2017 11:22

Hello everyone,
I allow myself to post on the forum for a problem that one meets with one of our client. 

Following maj Progress V9.1E to 11.6, it encounters the following messages randomly:

System Error: error I / O 22 on readfmb, ret -1, fich.7 (rcda11852), addr 142213120 (290).

We look at the articles of the kb Progress by applying the recommendations, but without results ...
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 16-Mar-2017 07:19

Hi,

The reason Rob asked about -T is because the error message you reported mentioned a temporary file that was generated by the Progress session (rcda11852).  rcda files are generated by the Progress session to store r-code that is loaded during the session.

Typically when we see file access errors like the one you reported it's because there's some sort of access issue(permissions, availability, etc) with either the "Working Directory" or the "Temp Directory".

The Working Directory is the "Start-in" directory in the shortcut you launched the process from, or the directory you were located in when/if you ran the process from the command shell.  The Temp Directory is specified using -T.

You should ensure the following:

- The users that encounter the error have the folder mapped and can open both the working and temp directories using Windows Explorer and can write files to them

- The folder(s) in question are not being scanned by some anti-virus software (i.e. add the folder to the exceptions list)

If these do not provide a solution you should open a case with technical support for further investigation.

Regards,

Ken McIntosh

Progress Technical Support

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 15-Mar-2017 11:35

Where is the client's temp directory (-T)?

Posted by Support Technique on 15-Mar-2017 11:38

Hello and thank for your answer.

The temp directory is in the user directory (on a server like \\SRVDATA\USERS\TOTO).

I did a security check, the user has all rights to his directory.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 15-Mar-2017 11:40

Is that a remote share or does the client process also run on that server?

Posted by Support Technique on 15-Mar-2017 11:59

At this client, the USERS directory is stored on the BDD server with the following programs:

\\ srvbdd\USERS

We have 2 RDS and 1 BDD

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 15-Mar-2017 12:06

I'm sorry, I don't understand what "RDS" and "BDD" are.

What I am trying to ask is whether the client process (e.g. prowin32.exe or prowin.exe) is running on the server SRVDATA, which is where you said the -T directory is located.

The temp directory should be local to the client.  If it is located on a network share then there can be impacts to client performance and reliability.

Posted by Support Technique on 16-Mar-2017 04:37

Hello and sorry for my abbreviation :)

RDS: Remote Desktop Server

BDD: Database (in French)

The Prowin32.exe process is locally located on the RDS and the -T is located on the BDD server.

This infrastructure is in place for many of our customers and is not a concern.

But at this precient customer, following the update of Progress from V9 to V11, we have this problem.

Posted by Support Technique on 16-Mar-2017 05:05

Hello,

I just modified the p_menu.pf and the -T to point it locally on the RDS servers.

I keep you informed of the evolution of the problem

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 16-Mar-2017 07:19

Hi,

The reason Rob asked about -T is because the error message you reported mentioned a temporary file that was generated by the Progress session (rcda11852).  rcda files are generated by the Progress session to store r-code that is loaded during the session.

Typically when we see file access errors like the one you reported it's because there's some sort of access issue(permissions, availability, etc) with either the "Working Directory" or the "Temp Directory".

The Working Directory is the "Start-in" directory in the shortcut you launched the process from, or the directory you were located in when/if you ran the process from the command shell.  The Temp Directory is specified using -T.

You should ensure the following:

- The users that encounter the error have the folder mapped and can open both the working and temp directories using Windows Explorer and can write files to them

- The folder(s) in question are not being scanned by some anti-virus software (i.e. add the folder to the exceptions list)

If these do not provide a solution you should open a case with technical support for further investigation.

Regards,

Ken McIntosh

Progress Technical Support

Posted by gus bjorklund on 16-Mar-2017 10:20

the file called “rcda11852” is probably the 4gl runtime’s backing store for temp tables. since we don’t know the suffix, it could also be the scratch file used for sorting or one of the other temporary files used by the 4gl runtime.

some possible causes for this error on windows are:

vmware snapshot running on volume that contains the file

third-party backup software running on volume that contains the file

anti-virus scan running on the file

file is on a network file system and a network error has occurred

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 16-Mar-2017 10:38

Isn't it the case that the DBIxxxxxxx is the temp-table backing store, and rcdxxxxxx is the r-code cache?

Posted by gus bjorklund on 16-Mar-2017 12:12

yes, you are correct. my mistake.

the rcd file is the r-code swap file.

Posted by Support Technique on 30-Mar-2017 03:29

Hello everyone.

Thanks for your help, the problem is solved. It was a problem with the temporary file location.

This thread is closed