A Love Letter to My Developer

Posted by Monique Bruins on 14-Feb-2017 04:46

Hey Developer,

Like you, I don’t like Valentine’s day 
But bear with me, listen to what I got to say

I adore how everyone depends on you to make software strong, safe and work everywhere
People say I’m cool too and I can change looks to be the most beautiful out there

I promise not to be jealous and impatient when you want to code
Instead, I’ll make it as easy for you to build native and cross platform, even on the road

You love your JavaScript, .NET, Angular and ABL – And so do I!!
What about developing together? Shall we just give us a try?

Whether you want full coding control or just a quick drag and drop
I’ve got the best tools, start playing, you won’t be able to stop

Roll me out in the cloud, on-premise, hybrid, there is nothing I can't weather
Anything goes as long as you want, we can be together

So do not be sentimental, hanging on to what you got  
You need to become modern and I’m the one that’s hot

All Replies

Posted by marian.edu on 14-Feb-2017 05:52

Nice one, and funny too… not that it’s anything wrong with Valentine’s day, as long as it’s not Tuesday :)

Problem is, those new kids won’t get enough rolling one for just 30 days, regardless if on the cloud, on premisses or just the regular haystack ;)

There are a bunch of those ‘citizen developers’ as you like to call them out there, all starting something, trying new things every day, failing a lot and do it again… none of those follow the paradigm you’re used to and none willing to invest couple of thousands just to get started. If you guys really want to do something about getting new developers/partners then just look at what MS$ did with their ‘express’ line… guess that will translate to free development (psdoe can come with extra, enterprise features for a price) and free workgroup database to start with (two GB limit gives one some room to grow).

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

Posted by cverbiest on 14-Feb-2017 06:34

I think Marian's post should be the accepted answer

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 14-Feb-2017 08:11

Isn't there a classroom edition that is free?

Posted by scott_auge on 15-Feb-2017 09:51

Yea, there is a classroom edition, but you can only download it once and then you're done.  So if you down load it at home to try it out, and then try at a company it seems to say "You've done this enough times!  Go away!"

Posted by gus bjorklund on 15-Feb-2017 11:28

> Yea, there is a classroom edition, but you can only download it once and then you're done. So if you down load it at home to try it out, and then try at a company it seems to say "You've done this enough times! Go away!"

>

Is that correct?

If so, is it a good idea?

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 15-Feb-2017 11:31

I think only allowing one download defeats the purpose of what I thought PSC was trying to do. IMHO that classroom edition should be allowed to be downloaded over and over.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 16-Feb-2017 01:57

Marian's answer is a good one. But even with an oe 'express' line I doubt if oe can survive. Are you seeing what is happening in Holland (you're working there) Monique? Or do you live with your head in the clouds? The old story, I guess you do not want to hear it again, going on for many years already: companies are phasing oe out. No companies are starting new development with oe. Many jobs are on legacy maintenance, on applications that reached their end of life.

This thread is closed