ODBC db utf-8 access

Posted by Andrzej_Sz on 09-Jan-2017 03:56

Is it possible to get data using ODBC, from OE utf-8 database with no auto-conversion to regional (windows-1250) setting of Windows server ?

Regards

Andrzej

Posted by Rob Debbage on 09-Jan-2017 08:31

The only time that you will not have an automatic conversion is when the code-page of the client and server match, which is unlikely to happen when the database server is using UTF-8.

Regarding the IANAAppCodePage attribute, it is not recommended for use on Windows and is marked as a UNIX attribute in the manual:

media.datadirect.com/.../index.html

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Can-IANAAppCodePage-setting-be-used-on-Windows

If you need further assistance then I would suggest raising a case with OpenEdge Technical Support.

Regards,

Rob

All Replies

Posted by Rob Debbage on 09-Jan-2017 05:33

From 10.1A onward*, it is possible to get data from a UTF-8 database via ODBC but the auto-conversions involved cannot be avoided. There will be a conversion from/to the database code-page to/from the internal code page is that of the client's default locale.

* - 10.1A introduced Unicode-compliant ODBC drivers.

Regards,

Rob

Posted by Andrzej_Sz on 09-Jan-2017 05:56

It is OE 11.6 DB on Windows Server 2012 . Is it possible to avoid auto-conversion in that environment ? Is IANAAppCodePage=UTF-8 available on standard Windows installation ?

Regards

Andrzej

Posted by Rob Debbage on 09-Jan-2017 08:31

The only time that you will not have an automatic conversion is when the code-page of the client and server match, which is unlikely to happen when the database server is using UTF-8.

Regarding the IANAAppCodePage attribute, it is not recommended for use on Windows and is marked as a UNIX attribute in the manual:

media.datadirect.com/.../index.html

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Can-IANAAppCodePage-setting-be-used-on-Windows

If you need further assistance then I would suggest raising a case with OpenEdge Technical Support.

Regards,

Rob

Posted by Andrzej_Sz on 09-Jan-2017 11:28

Thank you Rob for the explaination.

I decided to use "IANAAppCodePage=106" parameter and it works. It's still not clear why on Windows platform , it is not a good practice to use the IANAAppCodePage setting .

Regards

Andrzej

This thread is closed