Any trick to display a transparent image on top of field lev

Posted by slacroixak on 27-Dec-2016 10:46

Hi there, I was wondering if we could improve some traditional GUI with a decorating image on top of field level widgets (it takes long to transform the UI of an App to new stuff).

The documentation of the MOVE-TO-TOP() method says it is not possible with this:

"Images and rectangles are displayed behind other field-level widgets and cannot be moved on top of them."

Any trick to work it around with some magic win32 API's ?

Note I'd like to manage transparent images, so it does not help to use an intermediary frame on top of other widgets.

Posted by Scott Riley on 27-Dec-2016 10:57

Buttons will sit on top of field widgets and the button can have an image.

I use these inside field widgets to fire look ups.

You could place flat buttons with images in the field widgets and make them apply entry to the field widget when pressed.

I haven't tried this myself but might be worth a try.

All Replies

Posted by Scott Riley on 27-Dec-2016 10:57

Buttons will sit on top of field widgets and the button can have an image.

I use these inside field widgets to fire look ups.

You could place flat buttons with images in the field widgets and make them apply entry to the field widget when pressed.

I haven't tried this myself but might be worth a try.

Posted by slacroixak on 27-Dec-2016 10:57

Perhaps another way to ask the question is "how to make a frame transparent?", so it could hold my transparent pics

Posted by slacroixak on 27-Dec-2016 11:00

thank you Scott, I had thought of the button trick although it cannot manage a stretch to fit, and I doubt I would manage to make them transparent, but then I guess it might be the only straight forward way, with very squared pictures.

Posted by jquerijero on 27-Dec-2016 17:18

Have you tried painting over the window using Win32 then use MessageBlaster Active X to wait for a paint message to repaint your window?

Look for OE Hive website if you can still access it.

Posted by slacroixak on 04-Jan-2017 04:07

Thank you Jquerijero, it's been a while I have not played with the Message Blaster.

Finally, I found out the best option is to use a button with an image in it.  A bit limited to rectangle pictures but not so bad because simple.  Plus I have tried the round-widget trick given on OEHive (www.oehive.org/.../410) with interesting results (but I may go with rectangle pics for now).

This thread is closed