Smtpmail: blank line at the end of attached file

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 13-Dec-2016 06:04

Hi, I found this post in the peg archive and we are having the same issue. Any idea how to fix this? > Does anyone know how a blank line gets in a file. > I create a file with price data in it. > It is a comma delimited file. > We run the report at night in our batch queue. > The next morning we would email the file out to it's recipients. > I added code to the program to email out the report automatically using > smtpmail.p > I got it to work and the file is getting emailed out, but the recipient > says there is a blank line at the end of the file and he has to take it > out manually. > That blank line must of never been in there before because they did not > complain about it. > I did not change the code that creates the file. > After the report close line I added the code for smtpmail.p > Any ideas?

All Replies

Posted by George Potemkin on 13-Dec-2016 06:41

> Does anyone know how a blank line gets in a file

How you create a file?

Windows or Unix?

Empty line adds 1-2 bytes to the file's size. You can check its size before OUTPUT CLOSE:

DEFINE VARIABLE vOutFile AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "1.txt".
DEFINE VARIABLE vString  AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.
ASSIGN vString = FILL("x", 4).
OUTPUT TO VALUE(vOutFile).

PUT UNFORMATTED vString SKIP.
FILE-INFO:FILE-NAME = vOutFile.
MESSAGE "After PUT:" FILE-INFO:FILE-SIZE VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

PUT CONTROL NULL(0).
MESSAGE "After PUT CONTROL:" FILE-INFO:FILE-SIZE VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

OUTPUT CLOSE.
MESSAGE "After OUTPUT CLOSE:" FILE-INFO:FILE-SIZE VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 13-Dec-2016 07:09

The file is created on Linux. At the end of each line there is a LF.

When the file is received there is a addtional CRLF at the end.

See i.imgur.com/wJjN2za.png.

On top the file after it is sent using smtpmail.p.

On the bottom the file before sending it (without the CRLF at the end).

Posted by jquerijero on 28-Dec-2016 18:13

Can you count the number of characters?

Some mail servers will auto insert CRLF after the 78th chars and others do it after the 990th character for a very long character line. I don't think LF is a valid line terminator for email, so the server might be thinking that you have one long line.

Posted by jankeir on 29-Dec-2016 03:28

I would try setting the filetype of the attachment to binary so that it gets base64 encoded before sending.  That should stop unexpected manipulations.

This thread is closed