Bug Regarding 5635 Error

Posted by Rus Paul-Adrian on 10-Dec-2016 12:00

First of all, hello. I am a new Progress OpenEdge wannabe software developer.

I have studied the ABL language and the App Builder during summer at an internship but took a break and I have now installed the student version of Progress. I constantly run into the 5635 error (SYSTEM ERROR: -s exceeded. Raising STOP condition and attempting to write stack trace to file 'procore'. Consider increasing -s startup parameter. (5635) ) whenever I try to create a new database (I found a workaround by copying the sports200 db and then modifying it), or whenever I try to add a Browse element in App Builder while being connected to the db.

As far as the error message goes, I am not sure what I am supposed to do. I am not using any procedure when trying to create a new db or when I am trying to add a Browse while being connected to my db.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 10-Dec-2016 12:39

The -s parameter determines how much memory is allocated for the AVM's internal stack. The default value is 40, which allocates 40K for the stack. This value is too small for many cases. I would imagine that every OpenEdge application which has been deployed uses a higher value for -s than 40.

The documentation recommends using -s 128. This value will probably solve your problem. If you continue to get the error you should increase the -s value until the error no longer occurs.

We are considering increasing the default value in a future release.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 10-Dec-2016 12:39

The -s parameter determines how much memory is allocated for the AVM's internal stack. The default value is 40, which allocates 40K for the stack. This value is too small for many cases. I would imagine that every OpenEdge application which has been deployed uses a higher value for -s than 40.

The documentation recommends using -s 128. This value will probably solve your problem. If you continue to get the error you should increase the -s value until the error no longer occurs.

We are considering increasing the default value in a future release.

This thread is closed