How can I move a web application running locally on my compu

Posted by Daniel Ruiz on 17-Nov-2016 18:18

Hello,

I recently followed the tutorial on how to create a web application for the Pacific Application Server.

I generated a REST service that gives data about the electric power consumption of an office.

Now I want to mount the REST service on a dedicated server, I already created an instance of the core of the Pacific Application Server.

My question is How can I pass what I did on my computer with my Progress Developer Desktop to that instance on another server using the TCMAN commands?

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 18-Nov-2016 00:36

Hi Daniel,

You can export the application from PDS OE as a WAR file and then deploy that on to PASOE server using tcman commands. Here are the steps to export and publish the WAR file:

1.       Right click on PDSOE project and select Export > ABL Web Application option

2.       Provide Destination location in Export ABL Web Application dialog

3.       Select the radio button Export ABL Services for Pacific Application Server (by default this is selected)

4.       Now select all the services which you want to export as part of WAR file from ABL Services section (check the Check Boxes against services)

5.       Click Finish (After this WAR file generated in the specified location)

6.       Now open Proenv command prompt and type the following command to deploy the WAR file

Proenv><pasinstanceName>/bin/tcman.bat deploy <WAR-file-path>

Eg: oepas1/bin/tcman.bat deploy C:\Test\WebApp1

7.       Now copy the r-code files under AppServer folder of Web App project to PAS instance working directory (C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\openedge)

8.       If your App needs a Database connection, then start the database from command line (preserve -db <dbname> -H <hostname> -S <port>)

9.       Add the above database connection parameters to openedge.properties file PAS instance

a.       Open “openedge.properties” file under <PAS-instance-location>/conf folder (C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\conf)

b.       Locate the group [AppServer.SessMgr.oepas2] and then add to “agentStartupParam” value as shown below

agentStartupParam=-T "C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas2/temp" -db <dbname> -H <hostname> -S <port>

10.   Now go to Proenv and then start the PAS OE server instance using the following command:

Proenv><pasinstanceName>/bin/tcman.bat start

Eg: oepas1/bin/tcman.bat start

Hope this helps,
Sanjeev.

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 04-Dec-2016 00:28

Thanks for the info Sanjeev!!! Totally agree with the plans for Production Server deployment! 

On some customers I’ve seen implementing it, they used a central PAS for OE Server where code gets consolidated and tested. Than they transfer from that central Development Server to their Production Server using the process you’ve described.

Warm Regards,

Ricardo Perdigao
Solutions Architect, Sales North America
Progress
Progress
4693 SW 12Th Place, Deerfield Beach, FL, 33442
mobile
twitter
@rperdigao
Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Google+

All Replies

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 18-Nov-2016 00:36

Hi Daniel,

You can export the application from PDS OE as a WAR file and then deploy that on to PASOE server using tcman commands. Here are the steps to export and publish the WAR file:

1.       Right click on PDSOE project and select Export > ABL Web Application option

2.       Provide Destination location in Export ABL Web Application dialog

3.       Select the radio button Export ABL Services for Pacific Application Server (by default this is selected)

4.       Now select all the services which you want to export as part of WAR file from ABL Services section (check the Check Boxes against services)

5.       Click Finish (After this WAR file generated in the specified location)

6.       Now open Proenv command prompt and type the following command to deploy the WAR file

Proenv><pasinstanceName>/bin/tcman.bat deploy <WAR-file-path>

Eg: oepas1/bin/tcman.bat deploy C:\Test\WebApp1

7.       Now copy the r-code files under AppServer folder of Web App project to PAS instance working directory (C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\openedge)

8.       If your App needs a Database connection, then start the database from command line (preserve -db <dbname> -H <hostname> -S <port>)

9.       Add the above database connection parameters to openedge.properties file PAS instance

a.       Open “openedge.properties” file under <PAS-instance-location>/conf folder (C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\conf)

b.       Locate the group [AppServer.SessMgr.oepas2] and then add to “agentStartupParam” value as shown below

agentStartupParam=-T "C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas2/temp" -db <dbname> -H <hostname> -S <port>

10.   Now go to Proenv and then start the PAS OE server instance using the following command:

Proenv><pasinstanceName>/bin/tcman.bat start

Eg: oepas1/bin/tcman.bat start

Hope this helps,
Sanjeev.

Posted by Daniel Ruiz on 25-Nov-2016 10:17

Thank you very much for your answer, I will soon apply it and publish the results.

Posted by Daniel Ruiz on 03-Dec-2016 16:48

1. Right click on PDSOE project and select Export > ABL Web Application option.

1. Provide Destination location in Export ABL Web Application dialog.

2. Select the radio button Export ABL Services for Pacific Application Server (by default this is selected).

1. Now select all the services which you want to export as part of WAR file from ABL Services section (check the Check Boxes against services).

2. Click Finish (After this WAR file generated in the specified location).

1. Now open Proenv command prompt and type the following command to deploy the WAR file:

1. Proenv><pasinstanceName>/bin/tcman.bat deploy <WAR-file-path>

1. Now many copy the r-code files under AppServer folder of Web App project to PAS instance working directory (C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\openedge).

1. If your App needs a Database connection, then start the database from command line (proserve -db <dbname> -H <hostname> -S <port>).

2. Add the above database connection parameters to openedge.properties file PAS instance

a. Open “openedge.properties” file under <PAS-instance-location>/conf folder (C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\conf)

b. Locate the group [AppServer.SessMgr.oepas2] and then add to “agentStartupParam” value as shown below

10. Now go to Proenv and then start the PAS OE server instance using the following command:

1. Proenv><pasinstanceName>/bin/tcman.bat start

2. Eg: oepas1/bin/tcman.bat start

Hope this helps,

Sanjeev.

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 03-Dec-2016 17:32

Sanjaeev,

Awesome answer! Extremely detailed and helpful answer !

Daniel,

Another alternative you have (if the target machine has the Progress Admin Service running on it) is to use Progress Developer Studio to publish your Service to that PAS for OE Server:

- Go to Window Preferences

- Navigate to OpenEdge/Server/OpenEdge Explore Connections

- Create a new Connection and provide the Connection Name, Host Address and Password (usually admin). Important: press Create Servers & Finish

- Go to your PAS for OE Service Configuration, right-click and select Add/Remove Server

-  On this screen, select where you want to publish and placed it in the Configured.  It can be to the local server, the remote server or both!

- Lastly, you might need to right click on the server and click Publish. 

This is a little bit more tricky to configure, but has the advantage to easily publish your changes with a push of a button (without having to copy and run some commands on the other server). 

Warm Regards,

Ricardo Perdigao

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 04-Dec-2016 00:00

Hi Ricardo,

We planning to stop Production PAS OE server support from PDS OE. So, in this case user can have a connection to remote development server but not production server in coming releases.

Thanks,
Sanjeev.

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 04-Dec-2016 00:28

Thanks for the info Sanjeev!!! Totally agree with the plans for Production Server deployment! 

On some customers I’ve seen implementing it, they used a central PAS for OE Server where code gets consolidated and tested. Than they transfer from that central Development Server to their Production Server using the process you’ve described.

Warm Regards,

Ricardo Perdigao
Solutions Architect, Sales North America
Progress
Progress
4693 SW 12Th Place, Deerfield Beach, FL, 33442
mobile
twitter
@rperdigao
Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn