Any trick to disable compile time field completion?

Posted by slacroixak on 07-Nov-2016 11:37

Hi all,

You might all have hit this situation where someone has forgotten to define a simple 'i' or 'c' variable in a routine but the compiler picks up a table field with a name that begins with 'i' or 'c' considering it was just abbreviated. A bit scary case with error messages at runtime if you are lucky.

FIND FIRST OrderLine.
/* i  will refer to OrderLine.Itemnum because orderline provides one single field with a name that begins 'i'' */
MESSAGE i
    VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX INFO BUTTONS OK.

Have I missed a trick or magic parameter to limit or disable this compile-time completion?  Our team regularly considers this issue wishing there would be a way to overcome it.  If there is no trick, how would you support an new Enhancement Request for that (called 'ideas' nowadays).

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 07-Nov-2016 11:40

I think that is already part of the “strict compilation” project (enhancement).

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Nov-2016 11:44

This has been discussed as one of the features of a strict mode for the compiler. Fingers crossed an we will see that in 11.7

Sent from Nine

You might all have hit this situation where someone has forgotten to define a simple 'i' or 'c' variable in a routine but the compiler picks up a table field with a name that begins with 'i' or 'c' considering it was just abbreviated. A bit scary case with error messages at runtime if you are lucky.

FIND FIRST OrderLine.
/* i  will refer to OrderLine.Itemnum because orderline provides one single field with a name that begins 'i'' */
MESSAGE i
    VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX INFO BUTTONS OK.

Have I missed a trick or magic parameter to limit or disable this compile-time completion?  Our team regularly considers this issue wishing there would be a way to overcome it.  If there is no trick, how would you support an new Enhancement Request for that (called 'ideas' nowadays).

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

This thread is closed