WebSpeed (Classic) install on CentOS

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 06-Oct-2016 06:47

Apparently it's been a long time since I done this. Trying to get "classic" WebSpeed using a cgi messenger up and running on Centos for some testing purposes. 

So far: Internal Server Error 500. 

Checking Apache error log gives:

(13)Permission denied: exec of '/var/www/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh' failed
Premature end of script headers: wspd_cgi.sh

Permissions of /var/www/cgi-bin

drwxr-xr-x.   2 root root 4096 Oct  6 11:03 cgi-bin

And the script itself:

-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 2981 Oct 6 09:59 wspd_cgi.sh

The script (wspd_cgi.sh) is copied from the fresh install so no extra lines or other apparent corruptions.

I've tried connection type 1 and 2 (according to the file) but that doesn't really seem to make any differences. Default broker is up and running!  

I've also tried creating a small cgi script just echoing out Hello and given it the same permissions as wspd_cgi.sh and it works like a charm.

Looking through knowledebase entries regarding this gives no clues so far: no extra line feeds because of ftp-ing or editing the script in Windows. Can't see that the script is pointing to the wrong Progress install dir as suggested in another entry. And since the request never seem to reach the script I don't think that's likely to be it...

Running the wspd-script manually from the command line works. Adding some echos to a logfile reveals that everything that need to be set seems to be set:

DLC=/usr/dlc
PROMSGS=/usr/dlc/promsgs
WRKDIR=/usr/wrk

However: if I redirect the cgiip command itself to output to a file instead of stdout I see a difference:

If I run wspd_cgi.sh manually the file I redirect to gets data in it. When running via Apache the files is empty...

No local firewalls running.

Also: no more ideas regarding what's wrong...

11.6 on Centos release 6.6

Posted by Fernando Souza on 06-Oct-2016 07:57

If you google the Permission denied: exec apache centos, you will get a few mentions that talk about SELinux preventing file access due to what it thinks is violation of security.

For instance:

serverfault.com/.../apache-permission-denied-exec-of-var-www-html-cgi-test-first-pl-failed

forums.fedoraforum.org/.../t-41377.html

All Replies

Posted by Roy Ellis on 06-Oct-2016 07:52

What do the log files say?  I am mostly interested in the messenger log file and the WebSpeed agent/server log file.

Let us know, Roy

Posted by Fernando Souza on 06-Oct-2016 07:57

If you google the Permission denied: exec apache centos, you will get a few mentions that talk about SELinux preventing file access due to what it thinks is violation of security.

For instance:

serverfault.com/.../apache-permission-denied-exec-of-var-www-html-cgi-test-first-pl-failed

forums.fedoraforum.org/.../t-41377.html

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 06-Oct-2016 08:30

Indeed SELinux was the problem! Apparently we have it disabled for our production systems as well.

There's actually a KB-entry describing the "workaround":

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P107092

This thread is closed