Generate Temp-Table include file from Database Table

Posted by Christofer Yie on 28-Sep-2016 04:26

Hi,

We are currently working on generating Temp-table include files from the database. Based on this article: http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000027330 , the fields should be sorted by the fields position (_field-rpos). Most of the generated temp-tables work fine but a few temp-tables not.

We are using AppServer and the client side does not connect to any database (only to AppServer). In the AppServer, there is a procedure program (.p) and defines a temp-table using LIKE statement to a certain database table. In the Client side, we define a temp-table using LIKE statement to a temp-table, which is defined in a include file and should be the same with the server side.

For some tables, "The caller's temp-table parameter <table-name> does not match to the target temp-table <table-name>. (5363)" error will occur when we try put the temp-table as input or output parameter of a procedure. We are not sure why the error occur, since the generated Temp-Table is based on the database table.

Does someone have any idea about this issue? We tried in several OE version: 10.2B, 11.6 and the same error occured for some table.

Thank you

Christofer

All Replies

Posted by cverbiest on 28-Sep-2016 04:35

You could(/should) use the same include file to define the temp-table on the appserver and client.

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-Sep-2016 08:02

There are a bunch of rules around TT caller and callee matching. The _field._order is usually what you want to use. The only time that the _rpos-order is relevant is when you’re dealing with temp-tables defined LIKE db.table  (and in that case there are some challenges when dealing with reflection in 11.6.0+).

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2016 09:35

And, the use of LIKE creates database coupling where none needs to exist.

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 30-Sep-2016 15:09

To avoid problems like this, it is usually better to use one method of definition. You use both "LIKE database.table" and a static definition in an include file. My suggestion is to use the same include file for both appserver and client side. This way, the order does not matter anymore.

Posted by Christofer Yie on 03-Oct-2016 00:56

Thank you for the answers.

In our previous program, we use both "LIKE database.table" but since we are creating a new GUI, we eliminate the use of database on the client side but still using the same business logic on the server side. It would be troublesome for us if we convert the program on the server side to use the include file, because there would be so many programs to recompile and it would be a problem for our clients, because the previous program still using the "LIKE database.table".

It would be better if we could just maintain the program on the server side.

We just make a small program to test, from 307 database tables, there are 23 tables which have the same problem. I am still looking for hints what is the cause of this problem.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 05-Oct-2016 14:17

@DrMercerHush...  I have done several test on my side, and have found that the LIKE option DO NOT "binds" my program to a certain database connection at runtime.  The requirement of db connection is at compile time... only.   Had several programs with LIKE database field, and when deployed to remote db-connectionless clients won't have any problem...  I'm wondering... what am I doing wrong?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Oct-2016 03:04

You can always reliably verify if your r-code is DB-dependent by running:

RCODE-INFO:FILE-NAME = “path/to/myprogram.p” .

MESSAGE RCODE-INFO:DB-REFERENCES VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

This thread is closed