Utility Program

Posted by markell trotter on 21-Jul-2016 10:27

Hi I very new to this language but I am catching on quite well. I have been assigned the task of turning a fix program into a utility. The new program is supposed to trim job titles and it takes two parameters, cont-num and emp_Unum. I have finished creating the utility and when both parameters are satisfied, I only see a message at the bottom of the screen that says

Procedure complete. Press space bar to continue

My question is how can I test to see if this program  properly does exactly what I needed it to do?

Thanks.

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Jul-2016 10:32

Progress does not have the ability to return an exit code (i.e. something like QUIT(SomeIntegerValueHere)).

The best you can do is modify the code to dump out some data into a file then interrogate that file.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 21-Jul-2016 10:47

You could add a pop-up message with the updated value:

MESSAGE myvar VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

Posted by markell trotter on 21-Jul-2016 10:50

Thanks a lot for you patience and your response. I will try to implement this solution.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Jul-2016 10:54

No problem.  As Bill said on the other thread, if you need immediate tech support help please open a case with us via phone or our web site (www.progress.com/support).  If you don't have a SupportLink ID our web page has the link to create one.  Tech Support is always willing to help (we are pretty darn good, if I say so myself).  <smile>

Posted by James Palmer on 21-Jul-2016 10:58

[quote user="Brian K. Maher"]we are pretty darn good, if I say so myself[/quote]

Most of the time I'd agree. The rest of the time they are just plain awesome! :) 

Posted by markell trotter on 21-Jul-2016 11:03

What is the number to contact or open a case via phone.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Jul-2016 11:08

Go to https://www.progress.com/support then scroll down to the section titled “Get Help”.  What you want is the “Call Support” Link in the middle of the screen.  The phone number varies by region (Americas, Europe, etc).

Posted by markell trotter on 21-Jul-2016 11:09

Thanks Brian

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Jul-2016 11:10

One thought ...

You do need to be a direct customer of Progress in some fashion in order to obtain support from us.  If you are an end user of a VAR (i.e. your company bought a product written using our tools) then you need to open a support case with your VAR.  They will contact us on your behalf if they need our help.

Posted by markell trotter on 21-Jul-2016 20:17

Hey thanks for your responses i have gotten my utility to run properly. I just reorganized the code to output the results to a file. The utility was to trim job titles with length greater than 50 characters. I also used a message box with my variable. Thanks this is my first day on this community and i must say that you are all awesome.

This thread is closed