Client Networking Concurrent Licensing

Posted by Tai Li on 19-Jan-2016 02:39

Hi All,

This may sound basic, but I wanted to clarify on this. If my client networking is license to 5 user (concurrent model), I have 4 computers having 1 session each and another computer having two sessions. If my understanding is not wrong, I will need to purchase additional license right?

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 19-Jan-2016 06:01

Based on the limited information you provide, I believe the correct answer is no, you will not need to purchase add'l licenses. This assumes the user is accessing OpenEdge products on one server. If a user is accessing DBs on two machines then it's two concurrent DB licenses and two concurrent C/N licenses per user.

It sounds like you might need an internal license review before the auditors show up.

Paul

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 19-Jan-2016 06:01

Based on the limited information you provide, I believe the correct answer is no, you will not need to purchase add'l licenses. This assumes the user is accessing OpenEdge products on one server. If a user is accessing DBs on two machines then it's two concurrent DB licenses and two concurrent C/N licenses per user.

It sounds like you might need an internal license review before the auditors show up.

Paul

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Jan-2016 09:26

More specifically, one person on one machine with multiple sessions to one application is one user in concurrent license model.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 19-Jan-2016 09:52

Dr. TMH: This is not necessarily true. As I mentioned, if the application is running databases on multiple servers then the client requires multiple C/N licenses, one per database server.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Jan-2016 11:18

Well, yes, but that seems to me to be a different question since all of the computers, including the single session ones, would require the additional license.

Posted by Tai Li on 19-Jan-2016 20:12

Sorry, I did not mention that there is only one database server.

Thanks all!

Regards,

Tai Li

This thread is closed