OpenEdge 11.6 Officially Supported Profiler

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 27-Nov-2015 15:24

Is there any documentation anywhere on what is new in 11.6 with respect to the Profiler?

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 27-Nov-2015 15:29

There is something here from page 485 on:

documentation.progress.com/.../devstudio.pdf

Note, there's an issue when using non US numeric formats. The profiler view flickers like crazy. You can get around that by adding startup parameters to PDSOE:

C:\Progress\OpenEdge116_64\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm "C:\Progress\OpenEdge116_64\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -vmargs -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US -Duser.variant=EN

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 27-Nov-2015 16:33

Thanks - I had seen that and it isn't much. I was wondering if the object had any new properties or methods but it still is not in the ABL reference. Or if they had done any work with the standalone profiler from the samples (it doesn't look like it).

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 27-Nov-2015 16:40

Nothing has changed with the standalone viewer/DB; it's still unsupported AFAIK.  The new work was in the Profiler view and launch configuration in PDSOE.

Posted by Frank Meulblok on 01-Dec-2015 07:55

[quote user="Mike Fechner"]

Note, there's an issue when using non US numeric formats. The profiler view flickers like crazy. You can get around that by adding startup parameters to PDSOE:

C:\Progress\OpenEdge116_64\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm "C:\Progress\OpenEdge116_64\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -vmargs -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US -Duser.variant=EN

[/quote]

FYI: That issue is now logged as PSC00343345
With related KB article here: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000064620
Also: thanks Mike for finding a workaround !

Posted by Mike Fechner on 01-Dec-2015 08:00

Frank, thanks for logging that!

One question: When using PDSOE on a PC with German windows locale, starting PDSOE with the additional startup parameters, will it be safe to use the .NET Visual Designer? I am afraid of code serialization/deserialization issues caused by the Java portion and the .NET portion using different locales.

Haven's tested that out yet - I'm using two PDSOE shortcuts since a while (one specific to the profiler) to avoid any potential issue.

Posted by cverbiest on 01-Dec-2015 08:13

@Frank

An extra question on top of Mike's, should the AVM's use the same locale settings or can PDSOE cope with different numeric format for java & progress ?

We normally use the  -useOsLocale setting

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 01-Dec-2015 08:25

Thanks Mike!

I had already reported this to tech support, glad we now have a work around.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 01-Dec-2015 08:31

When I ran into the issue and looked into the workspaces .log file the solution became obvious.

Sometimes the .log file is more helpful then you think :-) Most times it's just pretty confusing though.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 01-Dec-2015 08:31

When I ran into the issue and looked into the workspaces .log file the solution became obvious.

Sometimes the .log file is more helpful then you think :-) Most times it's just pretty confusing though.

Posted by Frank Meulblok on 01-Dec-2015 12:45

@Mike & @Carl: I've not seen anything else break yet, but I must admit I've not gotten much opportunity to test things in-depth today..

Posted by cverbiest on 02-Dec-2015 07:51

Ok, thanks. I'll assume we don't need to have the same settings on all levels. I'll post to this thread in case I see something break

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 22-Dec-2015 03:12

Hi,

If we use the command "C:\Progress\OpenEdge116_64\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm "C:\Progress\OpenEdge116_64\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -vmargs -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US -Duser.variant=EN " on a German locale machine, PDSOE will be launched with English locale.

Instead you can use this command  "DLC\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.exe –nl ge" to launch PDSOE in German locale. So that everything will be in same locale(German) and we can avoid locale compatibility issues.

The same was answered in the earlier forum posted: community.progress.com/.../73263

Thanks,

Rama

This thread is closed