11.6 Tomcat Won't Start

Posted by Paul Mowat on 25-Nov-2015 04:24

Hi All,

I've just installed 11.6 32bit on Windows 8.1 on a colleagues laptop and cannot get the tomcat1 web server to start no matter what I try.

I tried going into proenv and doing a protc start and it comes up with a message saying unable to start in 30 seconds and to check the tomcat logs. The only log I can find is in the wrk folder called catalina.out which only shows a list of the paths.

e.g.

Using OPENEDGE_WEBAPPS: ""C:\OE116"\servers\tomcat\webapps"

Using OPENEDGE_WEBLOGS: "C:\OpenEdge\WRK116"

I also tried uninstalling OE116 completely and reinstalling just in case something had went wrong but still get the same.

I've installed this on my laptop and another colleagues laptop and it worked fine without any problems.

Anyone have any ideas? or any pointers as to what log files it's meaning and where they may be located.

Regards,

Paul

Posted by Paul Mowat on 27-Nov-2015 10:37

Hi,

Setting the timeout made no difference.

After spending a bit more time we did however manage to figure out what was going wrong.

When installing OE11.6 the DLC path was entered as C:\OE116\

This caused all the scripts in the bin folder to be populated with C:\OE116\ and when that was appended to other parts of the scripts it became C:\OE116\\ which caused this amongst other things not to fire as expected.

I'd say that the Installshield routine needs tightened up a bit so that you can't enter the trailing slash, or if you do it's removed so it doesn't cause such problems.

We uninstalled 11.6 and reinstalled it again using C:\OE116 without the trailing slash and it now works as expected.

Thanks

Paul

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 25-Nov-2015 07:02

$DLC/WRK has the appserver and related logs - they may have something to say. $DLC/WKR/catalina.out is the Tomcat log as you found.

Have you checked to make sure you're trying the right port? Or that the port is open and available and not being used by another program?

Posted by Paul Mowat on 25-Nov-2015 08:11

Hi Tim,

I've checked all of the appserver logs files and theres nothing in those. I've also checked to see if the port was in use by something else and it was fine.

Thanks

Paul

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 25-Nov-2015 08:16

Are you starting it manually or as a service? If as a service, set that to "off" and try running it manually. It'll emit a bunch of information as it starts, and the answer to your question may be in that output.

Posted by Paul Mowat on 26-Nov-2015 02:16

I've tried starting it through PDS, through OpenEdge Explorer and through protc start but all I get is it failed to start in 30 seconds and to check the logs. When I check the logs that I can find in the WRK folder It doesn't show anything.

Posted by Swathi Yellavaram on 27-Nov-2015 04:03

Can you please try increasing the time of OPENEDGE_TC_WAIT=30 in protc.bat file under DLC\bin and let us know if that helps.

Posted by Paul Mowat on 27-Nov-2015 10:37

Hi,

Setting the timeout made no difference.

After spending a bit more time we did however manage to figure out what was going wrong.

When installing OE11.6 the DLC path was entered as C:\OE116\

This caused all the scripts in the bin folder to be populated with C:\OE116\ and when that was appended to other parts of the scripts it became C:\OE116\\ which caused this amongst other things not to fire as expected.

I'd say that the Installshield routine needs tightened up a bit so that you can't enter the trailing slash, or if you do it's removed so it doesn't cause such problems.

We uninstalled 11.6 and reinstalled it again using C:\OE116 without the trailing slash and it now works as expected.

Thanks

Paul

This thread is closed