Migrated Application Opens as Binary File in Procedure Edito

Posted by Nigel Kneale on 01-Oct-2015 03:27

I have recently migrated an Progress 9.1E application and database to Open Edge 11.5

The database appears to have migrated successfully.

I have recompiled all of the application source code down to .R files, however when I try to execute the application through Prowin32 the Procedure Editor opens and displays what looks like the contents of a binary file.

I have carried out the migration on Windows Server 2012 64 bit, using the Open Edge 11.5 32 bit distribution - could this be the cause of the issue?

Thanks

Posted by Nigel Kneale on 01-Oct-2015 03:56

Hi Vithal,

My migration was from Windows 2003 Server 32 bit to Windows 2012 Server 64 bit - so 'same' hardware architecture.

The database migration itself was relatively straight forward and broadly followed the steps in this Progress Article knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000037191

The initial approach to database testing will be directly through the applications that use the data. Only if there are issues, would a different strategy be deployed.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 01-Oct-2015 04:21

What are the contens of your -pf configfile.pf?

-p is optional, correct. However I consider it good practice to be precise about the Parameters passed to prowin32.

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 01-Oct-2015 04:42

This behavior changed in 11.3. An argument that isn't preceded by a parameter is assumed to be either a database name or a program file. If it's a database name the client automatically adds the -db parameter. Otherwise it assumes that it's a program name and adds -param. This was changed so that you could use the Open With... feature in Windows with the client. Before this change Open With would always assume that the file was a database and would try to connect to it.

As Mike said, adding -p will fix the problem. I will log a bug to modify this code to recognize .r files and open them with -p.

All Replies

Posted by vithal.kattikar@hgst.com on 01-Oct-2015 03:36

Hi Nigel ,

we have also migrated database from 10.1C to 11.5 . It include hardware upgradation from HP-UX to Linux server.

Can u please tell me how to did your database migration and is it inculde hardware upgradation also.

Can u please tell me how we can perfrom database testing .

Posted by Nigel Kneale on 01-Oct-2015 03:56

Hi Vithal,

My migration was from Windows 2003 Server 32 bit to Windows 2012 Server 64 bit - so 'same' hardware architecture.

The database migration itself was relatively straight forward and broadly followed the steps in this Progress Article knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000037191

The initial approach to database testing will be directly through the applications that use the data. Only if there are issues, would a different strategy be deployed.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 01-Oct-2015 04:04

Hi Nigel,

with which Startup Parameters are you starting your prowin32 session? When the procedure Editor Shows binary file contens, maybe you are opening a .R file or encrypted source Code in the prcedure Editor?

For instance

prowin32.exe -param testprogram.r

will open testprogram.r in the procedure Editor while

prowin32.exe -p testprogram.r would execute it.

Posted by Nigel Kneale on 01-Oct-2015 04:18

Hi Mike.

Thanks for getting back on this.

The command line is of the form:

%DLC\bin\prowin32.exe -inifile  inifile.ini -pf configfile.pf main.r

Without the '-p' flag.

This has worked for us in Progress 9.1E for years.

Is this flag new or have we just been luck by not providing it?

I will search out the prowin32 documentation and experiment with this - by adding this flag I can already see additional error information, so this looks like a good lead to follow!

Thanks,

Nigel

Posted by Mike Fechner on 01-Oct-2015 04:21

What are the contens of your -pf configfile.pf?

-p is optional, correct. However I consider it good practice to be precise about the Parameters passed to prowin32.

Posted by vithal.kattikar@hgst.com on 01-Oct-2015 04:38

Thanks Nigel for your quick reply.

I understood that database testing is mainly depends on the application team.Application team should run all the critical

application and they should should check the data is correct.

Is my assumption correct?

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 01-Oct-2015 04:42

This behavior changed in 11.3. An argument that isn't preceded by a parameter is assumed to be either a database name or a program file. If it's a database name the client automatically adds the -db parameter. Otherwise it assumes that it's a program name and adds -param. This was changed so that you could use the Open With... feature in Windows with the client. Before this change Open With would always assume that the file was a database and would try to connect to it.

As Mike said, adding -p will fix the problem. I will log a bug to modify this code to recognize .r files and open them with -p.

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 01-Oct-2015 04:43

By the way, I think you're the first person to have this problem. At least it has never been reported to us before. I guess most people use -p. Frankly, I wasn't aware that you could omit it.

Posted by Nigel Kneale on 01-Oct-2015 04:54

That is correct for this particular situation, but of course will vary from organisation to organisation and project to project :)

This thread is closed