OE 11.3 32bit migration to OE 11.5 64bit

Posted by Tony on 15-Sep-2015 22:31

Need some help. We have a customer who wants to upgrade form 32bit to 64bit, but I can't seem to find any doc's regarding the process of migrating a 32bit db to a 64bit db.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 15-Sep-2015 23:26

If you are not using GUI for .NET there should not even be the need to recompile.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: Tony
Gesendet: ‎16.‎09.‎2015 06:22
An: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] OE 11.3 32bit migration to OE 11.5 64bit

Reply by Tony

Hi 'TheMadDBA',

So just to confirm before I take the plunge of no return. I can:

Shutdown all 11.3 processes (db's appservers.....)

truncate bi's

Uninstall 11.3

Install 11.5

re-compile my source code

start all processes

It sounds too simple. There must be a catch somwhere?

Posted by TheMadDBA on 15-Sep-2015 23:06

There is no difference from a database perspective. No conversion is required.

All of the 64 bit differences for memory access are in the OpenEdge executables. The biggest and most common issues are OE client related and almost exclusively because the code is using OCX controls or direct dll calls.

Posted by Tony on 15-Sep-2015 23:21

[...]

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-Sep-2015 00:25

The question is, why you intend to uninstall 11.3 before testing 11.5? I'd leave 11.3 (at least on the server side) installed for a few days as a fall back.

Posted by Tony on 16-Sep-2015 00:36

The customer is still at the start of the implementation where we can do this. More importantly, I have DB backups and source code if I need to re-instate the system.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 16-Sep-2015 09:13

For an OpenEdge upgrade within a major release, I would suggest:

  • (old DLC) truncate BI
  • (old DLC) offline backup
  • (old DLC) verify backup
  • (new DLC) proutil updateschema