OE10.2B AppServer Licensing

Posted by Tai Li on 14-Sep-2015 03:32

Hi All,

If I have an AppServer license (5 Named Users) installed, how should I setup the broker so as not to infringe the license agreement?

Do I control the number of named user connections through AppServer, 'Broker > Advanced Features > Maximum client instances' from the default 512 to 5? Or does AppServer restrict automatically based on the license installed?

I understand that the total number of named users per broker summed up should not exceed what is licensed for as stated in PKB, Article #42510.

Edit: The Progress Explorer help does not have the answer that I am looking for, or from forum, 'Broker setting - Maximum Client Instances'.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Posted by Roy Ellis on 15-Sep-2015 05:01

Hi Tai LI,

I think the kbase is saying the same thing I was saying: you license is the total of all agents.  So if you are running multiple AppServer brokers, the total number agents in all AppServer brokers are counted toward your license.

Max client instances should control the number of threads available in the broker to handle client requests.  If running StateAware or StateReset then the client thread is used only long enough to redirect to the agent and is again available.  In this case it will not limit clients.

The best was is to limit maximum servers in the pool range.  However, if you are using StateFree or StateLess programming model 5 agents can handle more than 5 clients.

Again the settings in Progress Explorer can help, but are not meant to limit agent licenses. They were designed to limit or increase resources for the broker and the application.

Again so depending on your application limiting actual user count can be difficult using the AppServer configuration features.

I think you are getting a pretty good understanding of the settings with your application though.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Roy

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 15-Sep-2015 07:31

I believe the simple answer to the original question is "you cannot". There is no correlation between the number of named users and the number of Apsv agents. One agent can support 1 or 10 or 100 named users depending on the application.  You must find another way such as authentication. If there are only 5 people who have a valid user name and password then you cannot violate your license agreement.

All Replies

Posted by Roy Ellis on 14-Sep-2015 18:03

Hi,

you can set your broker to limit the maximum number of AppServer Agents.  In the <install-dir>/properties/ubroker.properties the value will be maxSrvrInstance=10 change it to 5 to limit the AppServer to just 5 concurrent connections. The same value, with a slightly different label, can be set in OpenEdge Explorer.

If you will be running more than 1 AppServer broker, you will have to limit the total maxSrvrInstance per broker to 5.

However, depending on your application you may still have more the 5 named users being supported by only 5 AppServer agents.  So I am not sure if just this setting will ensure you don't exceed your license setting.

Let me know if you have further questions,

Roy

Posted by Tai Li on 14-Sep-2015 21:34

Hi [mention:30c5058a319047d288fe606ee12c9bbe:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05],

[quote user="Roy Ellis"]

... The same value, with a slightly different label, can be set in OpenEdge Explorer.

[/quote]

I believe you are referring to this,

[quote user="Roy Ellis"]

... If you will be running more than 1 AppServer broker, you will have to limit the total maxSrvrInstance per broker to 5.

[/quote]

But this is not what I understand from PKB, Article #42510.

[quote user="Roy Ellis"]

However, depending on your application you may still have more the 5 named users being supported by only 5 AppServer agents.  So I am not sure if just this setting will ensure you don't exceed your license setting.

[/quote]

Hmm... So is the controlling being done under the 'Agent > Pool Range' or 'Broker > Advanced Features > Maximum client instances' for the 5 named users license?

Thank you.

Posted by Tai Li on 14-Sep-2015 23:14

Or does the PKB, Article #42510 do not work similarly to named user license?

Posted by Tai Li on 15-Sep-2015 01:53

[quote user="Tai Li"]

Hmm... So is the controlling being done under the 'Agent > Pool Range' or 'Broker > Advanced Features > Maximum client instances' for the 5 named users license?

[/quote]

I did some testing, I set the Broker, 'Maximum client instances' to 2 and Agent, 'Maximum servers' to 5; I am only able to connect up to max 5 Progress clients. It seems that the Broker, 'Maximum client instances' does not do anything? Only the Agent, 'Maximum servers' is able to restrict the number of Progress client access.

Do correct me if I am wrong or have misunderstood.

Thank you.

Posted by Roy Ellis on 15-Sep-2015 05:01

Hi Tai LI,

I think the kbase is saying the same thing I was saying: you license is the total of all agents.  So if you are running multiple AppServer brokers, the total number agents in all AppServer brokers are counted toward your license.

Max client instances should control the number of threads available in the broker to handle client requests.  If running StateAware or StateReset then the client thread is used only long enough to redirect to the agent and is again available.  In this case it will not limit clients.

The best was is to limit maximum servers in the pool range.  However, if you are using StateFree or StateLess programming model 5 agents can handle more than 5 clients.

Again the settings in Progress Explorer can help, but are not meant to limit agent licenses. They were designed to limit or increase resources for the broker and the application.

Again so depending on your application limiting actual user count can be difficult using the AppServer configuration features.

I think you are getting a pretty good understanding of the settings with your application though.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Roy

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 15-Sep-2015 07:31

I believe the simple answer to the original question is "you cannot". There is no correlation between the number of named users and the number of Apsv agents. One agent can support 1 or 10 or 100 named users depending on the application.  You must find another way such as authentication. If there are only 5 people who have a valid user name and password then you cannot violate your license agreement.

Posted by Tai Li on 15-Sep-2015 23:05

Thanks [mention:30c5058a319047d288fe606ee12c9bbe:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] and [mention:3cb137fff0074190a2d3f32e55cf403a:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05]!

This thread is closed