ProgressLink case submission manual entry doesn't work

Posted by cverbiest on 14-Sep-2015 02:51

Entering the information manually does not work.  I guess there are mandatory fields on the form where I do not have access to, making it impossible to fill out all fields.

Below is the case I tried to submit.

Inconsistent compiler results with .Net datatypes casing

Following sample code does not compile
Invalid datatype specified: System.byte[]. Specify a datatype such as 'character' or the name of a class. (5638)
**  Could not understand line 4. (196)

If you change lcfirst to no, it does compile. If you change it back to yes it continues to compile until you start a new prowin session.

To reproduce : start a new prowin(/prowin32) session and execute the sample below

/* Sample */
&scoped lcfirst yes
&if {&lcfirst}
&then
def var ba as "System.byte[]".
&endif
def var bac as "System.Byte[]".

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 14-Sep-2015 03:02

Hi Carl, what you are seeing is expected behavior.

.NET Class names are case sensitive. So the proper type name in .NET is System.Byte[] - not System.byte.

Progress relaxes this requirement so that when the type was initially found (and in a way cached in the AVM bridge) it allows case insensitive access.

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P186436

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000044265

If you ask me, I'd rather not have Progress relaxing the case requirement after first usage. But that would be an enhancement request, not a bug.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 14-Sep-2015 09:54

I guess it depends on your definition of "bug" ;-)

I will never understand why someone thought relaxing the case restriction was a good idea. It just causes more issues than it is worth imo.

Posted by cverbiest on 14-Sep-2015 10:57

Compiling one class causes the compilation of an unrelated class to succeed , this looks like a side effect to me.

I'll post an idea for an option to make class variables case sensitive anyway . If the case isn't correct for a class reference it won't compile on linux either.  This issue isn't limited to .Net data types.

This thread is closed