Updating OE Without Re-configuring AppServer, DBs, etc.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 04-Sep-2015 12:07

Hi.

When updating our test servers to a new OE version, we've always just manually re-added our AppServer and DB connection information.  With the abundance of new releases, this has become a bit of  a pain. Is saving off the 'properties' folder and using 'mergeprop' the only way to migrate all the properties? Is there a better way we are missing?

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 04-Sep-2015 12:39

This is one reason to use PASOE – the properties are held outside of the $DLC folder.

[collapse]
From: Jeff Ledbetter [mailto:bounce-jeffledbetter@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, 04 September, 2015 13:08
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE General] Updating OE Without Re-configuring AppServer, DBs, etc.

Thread created by Jeff Ledbetter

Hi.

When updating our test servers to a new OE version, we've always just manually re-added our AppServer and DB connection information.  With the abundance of new releases, this has become a bit of  a pain. Is saving off the 'properties' folder and using 'mergeprop' the only way to migrate all the properties? Is there a better way we are missing?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 04-Sep-2015 12:43

Say what? This our server; not our development environments.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 04-Sep-2015 13:13

For most OE version upgrades you can simply overwrite the various .properties files with the versions from the old DLC/properties  (while everything is shut down).

Occasionally you will run into issues with format changes but this usually only happens between major versions (9 to 10,10 to 11,etc). Then you have to go back to the merge approach.

If you really want to you can specify alternate locations for the various plugin config files... Make sure you have backups first.

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P94699

Posted by Brian Bowman on 04-Sep-2015 13:17

This is the only way at the moment to be able to transfer a configuration between installations and releases.  We currently have in the backlog a feature to provide you with the ability to easily do this type of migration.  Conceptually this can be done in 2 different ways ( there are probably others but these are what we are thinking at the moment).

1) Provide a utility that exports the complete configuration so that it could be imported in the next installation.  One potential advantage of this utility is that it could be made to work with previous releases. 
2) As is designed with PAS for OE move all of the configuration files outside of DLC.  This would allow you to pick up the configuration after you do the installation.  The biggest drawback to this (other then being a relatively large amount of work) is that it would only be valid moving forward.

Thoughts and ideas welcome!

Brian

Sent from my iPad

Brian Bowman
Product Management
Progress Software
Cell: +1 (603) 801-8259
Office:+1 (781) 280-4708

On Sep 4, 2015, at 1:08 PM, Jeff Ledbetter <bounce-jeffledbetter@community.progress.com> wrote:

Thread created by Jeff Ledbetter

Hi.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 04-Sep-2015 13:21

I think I'll try that route again.. I think *various* is they key phrase. I believe we copied all of them last time which caused issues. I know the AdminServerPlugins.properties file has DLC-specific information but not sure about which other ones may have as well. I assume I should be ok just to copy ubroker and conmgr.

Thx.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 04-Sep-2015 13:28

Brian, I'm not following how PASOE would be able to handle this for a non-localhost instance. What am I misunderstanding?

Posted by Brian Bowman on 04-Sep-2015 13:31

The configuration for PASOE is not in the DLC directory (where the software gets installed).  I believe this is what Peter Judge was referring to.  Uninstall today removes the DLC directory (which I’m sure you know) and hence all of the configuration files.  PASOE does not suffer this fate because of the configuration existing elsewhere.

Peter can correct me if I am wrong.

Brian

Brian L. Bowman

Senior Principal Product Manager
Progress Software Corporation
14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA, USA 01730

Phone: +1 (603) 801-8259
Email: bowman@progress.com

[collapse]
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:29 PM
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Updating OE Without Re-configuring AppServer, DBs, etc.

Reply by Jeff Ledbetter

Brian, I'm not following how PASOE would be able to handle this for a non-localhost instance. What am I misunderstanding?

[/collapse]

Posted by Peter Judge on 04-Sep-2015 13:37

That's exactly what I meant.

All PAS instance (dev or prod) have their own config in the instance's conf/ directory.

If you want to monitor/manage local and external instance via OE Management/Explorer, then I think you need to add them via the tcman register command.
Run $DLC/servers/pasoe/bin/tcman help register to see the various options

[collapse]
From: Brian Bowman [mailto:bounce-bowman@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, 04 September, 2015 14:33
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Updating OE Without Re-configuring AppServer, DBs, etc.

Reply by Brian Bowman
The configuration for PASOE is not in the DLC directory (where the software gets installed).  I believe this is what Peter Judge was referring to.  Uninstall today removes the DLC directory (which I’m sure you know) and hence all of the configuration files.  PASOE does not suffer this fate because of the configuration existing elsewhere.

Peter can correct me if I am wrong.

Brian

Brian L. Bowman

Senior Principal Product Manager
Progress Software Corporation
14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA, USA 01730

Phone: +1 (603) 801-8259

[collapse]
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:29 PM

Reply by Jeff Ledbetter

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 04-Sep-2015 13:40

Ohhh.. PAS.. you said PASOE. I read it as PDSOE. Now I understand what you mean.

This thread is closed