Updating OE Without Re-configuring AppServer, DBs, etc.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 04-Sep-2015 12:07

Hi.

When updating our test servers to a new OE version, we've always just manually re-added our AppServer and DB connection information.  With the abundance of new releases, this has become a bit of  a pain. Is saving off the 'properties' folder and using 'mergeprop' the only way to migrate all the properties? Is there a better way we are missing?

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 04-Sep-2015 12:39

This is one reason to use PASOE – the properties are held outside of the $DLC folder.

[collapse]
From: Jeff Ledbetter [mailto:bounce-jeffledbetter@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, 04 September, 2015 13:08
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE General] Updating OE Without Re-configuring AppServer, DBs, etc.

Thread created by Jeff Ledbetter

Hi.

When updating our test servers to a new OE version, we've always just manually re-added our AppServer and DB connection information.  With the abundance of new releases, this has become a bit of  a pain. Is saving off the 'properties' folder and using 'mergeprop' the only way to migrate all the properties? Is there a better way we are missing?

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 04-Sep-2015 12:43

Say what? This our server; not our development environments.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 04-Sep-2015 13:13

For most OE version upgrades you can simply overwrite the various .properties files with the versions from the old DLC/properties  (while everything is shut down).

Occasionally you will run into issues with format changes but this usually only happens between major versions (9 to 10,10 to 11,etc). Then you have to go back to the merge approach.

If you really want to you can specify alternate locations for the various plugin config files... Make sure you have backups first.

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P94699

Posted by Brian Bowman on 04-Sep-2015 13:17

This is the only way at the moment to be able to transfer a configuration between installations and releases.  We currently have in the backlog a feature to provide you with the ability to easily do this type of migration.  Conceptually this can be done in 2 different ways ( there are probably others but these are what we are thinking at the moment).

1) Provide a utility that exports the complete configuration so that it could be imported in the next installation.  One potential advantage of this utility is that it could be made to work with previous releases.
2) As is designed with PAS for OE move all of the configuration files outside of DLC.  This would allow you to pick up the configuration after you do the installation.  The biggest drawback to this (other then being a relatively large amount of work) is that it would only be valid moving forward.

Thoughts and ideas welcome!

Brian

Sent from my iPad

Brian Bowman