Is it always necessary to do 'PROSTRCT CREATE' then

Posted by Tai Li on 03-Sep-2015 01:16

Hi All,

I happen to come across OE10.2B documentation, in the 'Database Administration > OpenEdge Data Management:Database Administration > Creating and Deleting Databases > Creating a database with PROSTRCT CREATE > Adding schema to a void database', mentioned the following:

When you use the PROSTRCT CREATE utility on a .st file, the resulting database files are referred to as a void database. A void database does not contain any OpenEdge RDBMS metaschema. The void database consists of the .db extent and whatever .bi, .ai, .tl, and .dn extents you defined in the .st file. You must add metaschema information to a void database. The OpenEdge RDBMS provides an empty database in the size of each supported database block size for this purpose.

To add metaschema information to a void database:

1. Use the PROCOPY utility to copy the system tables...

Is it alright for me to do just 'PROCOPY empty*.db db-name.db' only (with .st file)? If I did not understand wrongly, the 'empty*.db' contains the metaschema (system tables), the asterisk in 'empty*.db' defines the database blocksize and the '.st' file contains the .bi, .ai, extents, etc.

Thank you.

Posted by cverbiest on 03-Sep-2015 01:49

procopy will do a prostrct create if there is no db. so the answer is no.

All Replies

Posted by cverbiest on 03-Sep-2015 01:49

procopy will do a prostrct create if there is no db. so the answer is no.

Posted by Tai Li on 03-Sep-2015 01:54

Thanks [mention:6e5d866d67d1447f8be4769c4267a1a1:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05]!

Posted by gus on 03-Sep-2015 12:49

no, do not procopy empty*.db

use the correct one.

empty.db has the default block size, whatever that may be. empty4.db has 4k block size. empty8.db has 8k block size.

if you are restoring a backup, you can do prostrct create followed by prorest.

Posted by Marek Bujnarowski on 03-Sep-2015 15:15

It’s even better: you don’t have to do proctrct create before prorest. Just restore to a destination with the valid .st file.
Running prorest with –verbose option will reveal how extents are formatted.

My 2c
Marek

[collapse]
empty.db has the default block size, whatever that may be. empty4.db has 4k block size. empty8.db has 8k block size.

if you are restoring a backup, you can do prostrct create followed by prorest.

Posted by gus on 03-Sep-2015 15:24

Marek, you are right.

But usually, i want to change the extent layout so i do a prostrct create beforehand to be sure it works the way i want and does not run out of room.

My 1c
Gus