Help ! I shot my feet. Appserver app, database has blob f

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 30-Jul-2015 13:59

Geetings.

I'm developing the high management programs on app server, so I prepare to 'mobilize' them.

Have this little window that shows a record detail, from the ttTable that I got from appserver.

Yesterday I added a blob field to base table.   And would like to show that (a pdf) on client window (after user asking for it with a button), so it is no imperative to get all pdfs with the corresponding query.

I'm thinking a bout calling a "GetPDFfile.p  on  hServer (input pkOfRecord, output ...what?)".

or something like that, but wonder about best practices about this (getting_a_stored_binary_on_blob_field_throug_the_wire_and_show_it_on_users_session).

Any comment on the issue?  (I´ll be very happy to get help. so thanks in advance.)

Jorge Olguin

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 30-Jul-2015 14:06

Use a single record temp-table with a BLOB field.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 30-Jul-2015 14:15

(thanks)

Does it need to be indexed?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 30-Jul-2015 14:23

I don't think that an Index is much needed - when it's really just going to be a single record in the temp-table. When you need to carry multiple LOB's in a single AppServer call, an Index might help. But LOB fields cannot be indexed. So that would need to be an index on a file-name field or similar.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 30-Jul-2015 14:24

Thanks a lot!!!

working already on that advice...

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 30-Jul-2015 14:37

Wrapping it on a dataset, does improves it somehow?  Is it advisable?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 30-Jul-2015 14:40

It won't improve it per se. It might have benefits when

- you plan to update the LOB's using the same dataset/temp-table

- this helps you standardizing your AppServer interface (OERA service interface), when all communication is based on ProDatasets.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 30-Jul-2015 14:46

Really great advices...

Thanks!!!

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 31-Jul-2015 06:28

A single BLOB can also be transported across appserver boundry using a memptr as parameter.

This thread is closed