License differences

Posted by katammi1 on 16-Jul-2015 01:34

Hi guys, I have wondered this question for a very long time. About the Progress and Enterprise licenses. 

What differences does Progress and Enterprise license number have? For example, if customer has User Limit of Client Networking License 15, User Limit of Enterprise Licence 17 and in the database management max users in tools 30 users and in enterprise 37 users - and finally - 20 Users mentioned at Enterprise-software.

Which of these numbers tells how many users can be signed in at Enterprise at the same time? 

Best, Katriina

All Replies

Posted by cverbiest on 16-Jul-2015 02:14

I followed a licensing presentation at a PugChallenge a couple of years ago. The only lesson I learned was that licensing is so complex Progress has a department to assist you in calculating this and other licensing questions.

I gave up trying to calculate number of users after an advice I gave to a customer they needed 100 users extra and Progress salesrep threw in some agent licenses, totally contradicting what I had told the customer.

AFAIK -n is a technical parameter that has almost no relation to licensing. A single named user can consume multiple database connections, on the other hand if your 15 named users are at home no one else can use their connection.

You should get some info about "named users", "registered client", "agents" etc. but I don't have the link to that at hand. I guess there will be some documents on the partner site that can help. Ask your salesrep.

Other people may be able to provide a better answer but they will need.

• The version of OpenEdge
  •  the exact name of the license (named user/register client/...)
  • and probably some info about the types of users, frequency of use, ...

Posted by katammi1 on 16-Jul-2015 02:26

Perfect. Something like this have I heard from other sides too. But thanks to clearing the issue a little bit. I'll ask this from our salesrep - or some of them - when the holiday season is off.

Then:

- mostly OE 11.3 (or 10.2b)

- Enterprise RDBMS license and Client Networking license, mostly

- Users are either using Enterprise via Citrix, netsetup-intallation (Client installation) or Windows RDS (RDWeb)

Posted by Jean Richert on 16-Jul-2015 03:53

I guess [mention:6e5d866d67d1447f8be4769c4267a1a1:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] was referring to the following presentation that took place at EMEA PUG Challenge 2013.

www.pugchallenge.eu/.../emea_pug_challenge_2013_licensing_and_policy.pdf

Posted by katammi1 on 16-Jul-2015 03:55

Thanks! I'll check this link out right away!

Posted by cverbiest on 16-Jul-2015 03:58

Yes, that's the presentation I was referring to.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 16-Jul-2015 07:50

Careful: if you bought Progress from QAD, Infor or another vendor as part of an application then normal Progress licencing may or may not apply to you. Progress has different deals with different vendors and you should talk with the vendor.  If you bought your Progress licences from Progress directly then I'm sure a few people here can help you understand what you have and to what it entitles you.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Jul-2015 10:36

-n is for managing connection count, not user count.  The two are often different.

Most 10.x products are licensed by named user or registered client.  Named users can be on any device, but only the named individuals are licensed.  Registered client is based on the device, e.g., like a shop floor terminal where 15 different people might log in.  The two cannot be mixed.  In both cases one user can have multiple sessions on the same device and only count as one user.

Pre 10.x most licenses were concurrent user, i.e., people simultaneously accessing the DB.  Some people have carried over concurrent user licensing to 10 and 11.  Concurrent user licenses are more expensive than named user and registered client.

Generally, batch processes are not counted toward user counts unless they outnumber the human users.

Some products also have agent licenses and CPU licenses.

There is a Policy Guide which goes over this in detail if you can leverage one out of your salesperson's hands.

This thread is closed