Translation of messages from runtime..

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 12-Jun-2015 14:53

I have this message thrown from a prowin32.exe user:

Se produjo un error al mostrar un cuadro de diálogo ddel sistema, El código regresado es 12290. (13960)

But when querying the knowledgebase it won't recognizes 13960 error, and querying with what I believe are clues to find some article (written on english) I can't find help on the issue.

(  btw, the message say something like: It was unable to realize system dialog box, System's error code is 12290. (13960)   )

This is the ofending code: (and i've just found the issue.... the TitleReporte var had embeded the "/" character, and windows can't handle them.

ASSIGN ARCHIVOSALIDA = titleReporte + STRING(TODAY, "99-99-99") + "--" + REPLACE(STRING(TIME, "HH:MM:SS"), ":", "-") + ".txt".
  SYSTEM-DIALOG GET-FILE ARCHIVOSALIDA 
  FILTERS "Archivo de Reporte"  "*.txt"  ASK-OVERWRITE USE-FILENAME
  SAVE-AS  TITLE "Guardar Reporte" UPDATE ResultadoImpresion.

Is there a way (I've heard of promsgs file) to find the english message of the corresponding error number? so I can query knowledgebase?

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 12-Jun-2015 14:56

An error occurred while displaying a system dialog box.  The system error code is <error code>. (13960)

A system error occurred in a dialog box displayed with the SYSTEM-DIALOG statement.  The system error code may help determine the cause of the error.

Posted by James Palmer on 12-Jun-2015 14:57

There only seems to be one KB entry.

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P188113

Posted by Garry Hall on 12-Jun-2015 15:02

From within the Procedure Editor (or any of the ADE tools), use Help->Messages from the main menu. You enter the message number and it will show you the English text for the message, along with a description of the message, if one was provided.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 12-Jun-2015 15:07

Thanks... But it is not related to the issue at hand, don't you think?

The problem came for the titleReporte variable, holding something like "12/06/15" among other stuf, but windows complained to progress on the "/" char given to SYSTEM-DIALOG GET-FILE.

Anyway, I fixed that , but the issue remains... is there somewhere I can find the messages on english, so that I could poke on it, to find the correct wording to query knopwledgebae?

Posted by George Potemkin on 12-Jun-2015 15:08

> From within the Procedure Editor (or any of the ADE tools), use Help->Messages from the main menu.

Or:

run prohelp/_msgs.p.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 12-Jun-2015 15:20

Yes!!! That's it!!!!!  Thanks...

Posted by Laura Stern on 12-Jun-2015 15:21

Didn't James Palmer just give you the text of the message?  

"An error occurred while displaying a system dialog box.  The system error code is 12290"

So go look that error code up in Google.  If you look up "common dialog error 12290", there are a bunch of hits.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 12-Jun-2015 15:22

In my opinion you are much better off searching for the error number in the KB. Of course somethings you will end up with something that isn't common enough to have a KB entry,

When you have a windows message like you have try searching for the error number and the error number converted into hex. Your error in hex is 0x3002 which means you are hitting this message:

FNERR_INVALIDFILENAME 0x3002 A file name is invalid.

I suspect the spaces might be throwing you off in either the file name or the filters.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 12-Jun-2015 15:30

Thanks Laura....   But I don't want to annoy Mr. Palmer every time I found an error on mi language, so I was asking how to handle next error.  ;)

Thanks Stefan, the tip you gave is pure gold... Should I'd know before, just the part of INVALIDFILENAME would point me where to  find problem.  In fact the idea to find solution, came to me while I was tipyng the original question here on the forum..

Thank you all .!!!!

This thread is closed