Delete Tenant in Multi-Tenant Saas Db

Posted by bart.syryn on 12-Jun-2015 02:56

Hi, We have a SaaS application in a cloud-server. We use MultiTenant OE11.3 database. Every customer has one tenant. For each tenant we have three Area's (one for data, one for index and one for Lob). Question is, how can we delete a Tenant and his three associated area's. I know we can disable a tenant, but after a while, we would like to delete the tenant. What is the exact order to delete the tenant and area's from the database. I find a lot on creating domains, tenants, tenantusers and area's. But didn't find the correct order and the commands to delete the tenant. Any suggestions ? Kind regards Bart S

Posted by Fernando Souza on 12-Jun-2015 07:43

Correct. Run the command line utility "prostrct remove" to delete the area and remember that it has to be executed offline, and it requires the bi to be truncated before it can execute. You will find more information about prostrct remove in the "Database Administration" book.

All Replies

Posted by Fernando Souza on 12-Jun-2015 06:01

The easiest way to delete a tenant is via the OpenEdge Management tool. There is information in the "Configuring Multi-tenancy" book on deleting a tenant, and all the things that are deleted along with it (domains, users, partitions, etc). Then you can remove the storage areas from the command line if there are no other data on them - this is an offline operation.

Posted by Rohit Kumar on 12-Jun-2015 06:36

You could also make use of the ABL APIs for Multitenancy (documentation.progress.com/.../index.html) to accomplish this, though doing this through OE Management is easier.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 12-Jun-2015 07:20

What are the transaction implications of doing this? Will all the tenant data be deleted in one big TX, or will their data be slowly nuked over time?

[collapse]
On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 7:02 AM, Fernando Souza <bounce-fernando@community.progress.com> wrote:
Reply by Fernando Souza

The easiest way to delete a tenant is via the OpenEdge Management tool. There is information in the "Configuring Multi-tenancy" book on deleting a tenant, and all the things that are deleted along with it (domains, users, partitions, etc). Then you can remove the storage areas from the command line if there are no other data on them - this is an offline operation.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Tim Kuehn:  Senior Consultant  - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG 
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas, 
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081
[/collapse]

Posted by Fernando Souza on 12-Jun-2015 07:25

Since they are in type II areas, the partition gets deleted and all the blocks for that partition become available for reuse - there is no data removal per se (as in, we don't go deleting record by record). The same is true when you delete a table in a type II area.

Posted by bart.syryn on 12-Jun-2015 07:37

Thanks for replying.

I've looked in the book 'configuring multitencancy'. So correct me if I'm wrong, when I delete the tenant in the OpenEdge Management Tool, the data won't be deleted (in my case the tree area's).

After deleting the tenant, I need to delete the Area's. How do I delete an Area from my database ?

Posted by Fernando Souza on 12-Jun-2015 07:43

Correct. Run the command line utility "prostrct remove" to delete the area and remember that it has to be executed offline, and it requires the bi to be truncated before it can execute. You will find more information about prostrct remove in the "Database Administration" book.

Posted by bart.syryn on 12-Jun-2015 07:50

Ok, thanks, I'll try it this weekend !

This thread is closed