OpenEdge Competitive Matrix

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 01-Jun-2015 08:28

Hello everyone!

I think many of you are faced with the question - what is the difference between OpenEdge / Oracle/ MS SQL?
Why should I use it instead of Oracle?

How you answer to such questions?

It is possible that some of you have an approximate matrix for comparison of these RDBMS? First of all I'm interested in the technical details.

Could you share your experience?

Thanking you in advance!

Regards,
Valeriy

All Replies

Posted by apodsiad on 01-Jun-2015 08:42

Hi Valeriy, I have just sent to your email related battlecard, have a look and let me know, if you are happy with it...

Posted by TheMadDBA on 01-Jun-2015 08:52

I have quite a bit of experience with OpenEdge and Oracle on some pretty large installs and several years with mid sized MS SQL databases.... The list of tech details between the three is very extensive.

A lot depends on DB size and user counts. There a ton of Oracle features that OE DBAs would kill for on multi TB databases but would never miss on smaller systems.

You can help narrow the list and focus the discussion by telling us more about why you want this. Like is this for an existing system, a new system or a customer that doesn't want an OE database?

I know there was a presentation from one of the PUG challenges that did some basic comparison between the DBs but I don't have a link handy.

Posted by James Palmer on 01-Jun-2015 08:57

[mention:bd94ed2843f848d2a02b5599fd55d498:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] Do you mean this one? proora.com/.../ProgressvsOracle.ppt

Posted by TheMadDBA on 01-Jun-2015 09:07

Yes James that is the one I was thinking of. Fair comparisons for the most part.

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 02-Jun-2015 02:31

[quote user="apodsiad"]

Hi Valeriy, I have just sent to your email related battlecard, have a look and let me know, if you are happy with it...

[/quote]
Hi Aggy,
Thank you! I will explore this document.

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 02-Jun-2015 02:46

[quote user="TheMadDBA"]

You can help narrow the list and focus the discussion by telling us more about why you want this. Like is this for an existing system, a new system or a customer that doesn't want an OE database?

[/quote]

Hi ThaMadDBA,

I want to create for my sellers special document which would contain good arguments in favor of the OpenEdge. I would like the document to contain not only the advertising text, but also technical specifications which together should give good results and assist our sellers.

Mainly for me need facts that would enable future customers to make a choice between the OpenEdge and Oracle in favor of the OpenEdge.

Maybe someone here has a similar document that was used for the sales. Or what arguments you use to work with a potential client?

This thread is closed