Error when making static query dynamic

Posted by peggycole on 05-May-2015 09:28

Hi,

We have a very simple window with a very simple browse on the order table. In the window is a customer-record available (find first customer) The query on the browse is: for each order where order.custnum = customer.custnum. This query is set in the &scoped-define query-string. If I run this window, the browser shows the orders of customer with custnum = 1.

The issue is now that we want to “grab” this query and change it but that seems not possible.

Showing the {&query-string-{&browse-name}} in a message gives this: “for each order where order.custnum = customer.custnum” and that’s the correct query-string.

But using the same query-string in a query-prepare statement (query brw_update:query-prepare(“{&query-string-{&browse-name}}”).) gives an error message because customer.Custnum is not known.

Question 1: I understand why I get error message (customer is not a buffer in the query) but what is the reason that the static preprocessor query works? The exact value of customer.custnum is not known at compile-time so there must be some translation of customer.custnum at run-time as well. So why can’t that be done with the query-prepare version?

Question 2: is there in this set up somehow a way to get the “real” executed query. In this case I want a string like this “for each order where order.custnum = 1”?

We work with OE 11.5, 32-bit on windows 8, 64-bit but I think this issue is relevant for all platforms/OE-versions.

Kind regards,

Peggy

Example:
&Scoped-define BROWSE-NAME Brw_Update
&Scoped-define QUERY-STRING-Brw_Update FOR EACH ORDER WHERE ORDER.Custnum = customer.Custnum NO-LOCK INDEXED-REPOSITION
&Scoped-define OPEN-QUERY-Brw_Update OPEN QUERY Brw_Update FOR EACH ORDER WHERE ORDER.Custnum = customer.custnum NO-LOCK INDEXED-REPOSITION.

/* Define window */
define var C-Win as widget-handle no-undo.

create window C-Win assign
  hidden             = yes
  title              = "Order from customer"
  height             = 16
  width              = 80
  max-height         = 16
  max-width          = 80
  virtual-height     = 16
  virtual-width      = 80
  resize             = yes
  scroll-bars        = no
  status-area        = no
  bgcolor            = ?
  fgcolor            = ?
  keep-frame-z-order = yes
  three-d            = yes
  message-area       = no
  sensitive          = yes
  triggers:
     on window-close do:
       delete widget C-Win.
       apply "close" to this-procedure.
     end.
  end.

/* Define browse */  
define query Brw_Update for Order scrolling.

define browse Brw_Update
  query Brw_Update no-lock display
  ORDER.OrderDate format "99/99/9999":U
  ORDER.Ordernum format "zzz,zz9":U
  ORDER.Custnum format "zzz,zz9":U
    WITH NO-ROW-MARKERS SEPARATORS SIZE 70 BY 10 FIT-LAST-COLUMN.   

/* Define button */
define button BUTTON-1
  label "Reopen query"  
  size 15 by 1.14
  triggers:
    on choose
      do:
        run p_open_query.
      end.
  end.

/* Define frame with browse & button */  
define frame DEFAULT-FRAME
  BUTTON-1 at row 1.24 col 50
  Brw_Update at row 3.14 col 6 help
  "Select a record"
  with 1 down no-box keep-tab-order overlay
  side-labels no-underline three-d
  at col 1 row 1
  size 80 by 16 widget-id 100.

/* Enable widgets */
enable BUTTON-1 Brw_Update with frame DEFAULT-FRAME in window C-Win.

/* View frame & window */  
view frame DEFAULT-FRAME in window C-Win.
view C-Win.

/* Open query for first customer (custnum = 1) */
find first Customer no-lock no-error.
{&open-query-{&browse-name}}

wait-for close of this-procedure.

procedure p_open_query:
  find first Customer no-lock no-error.
  message  "~&query-string: {&query-string-{&browse-name}}"            
    view-as alert-box.

query brw_update:query-prepare("{&query-string-{&browse-name}}"). /* error customer custnum not available  .... */
  query brw_update:query-open ().

end procedure.

All Replies

Posted by patrick.elsen on 05-May-2015 09:55

Wild guess... Try putting customer.custnum between single quotes...

Posted by TheMadDBA on 05-May-2015 10:04

Try putting the actual customer.cust-num value (123,3456,etc) into the query prepare string instead of the field reference.

Posted by kevin_saunders on 05-May-2015 10:04

In the p-open_query procedure, a better solution is to store the predicate in a variable like:

ASSIGN cPred = "FOR EACH ORDER WHERE ORDER.Custnum = " + string (customer.custnum) + " NO-LOCK INDEXED-REPOSITION ".

query brw_update:query-prepare(cPred).

Posted by cverbiest on 05-May-2015 10:11

You need to replace those fields/variables yourself as Kevin demonstrated

Some enhancements to Kevin's answer. Use substitute & quoter, syntax checked by webeditor ;-)

Don't forget to add some error handling .

cPred = substitute("FOR EACH ORDER WHERE ORDER.Custnum = &1 NO-LOCK INDEXED-REPOSITION ", quoter (customer.custnum)).

query brw_update:query-prepare(cPred).

Posted by peggycole on 06-May-2015 01:46

I was afraid that that was the only solution I had in this case. Normally we use dynamic queries but in this particular window was that not available nor easy to implement but obviously there is no alternative :-). Back to the drawing table...

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 06-May-2015 09:08

Get the query handle

qh = QUERY qName:HANDLE.

and use it just like a dynamic query.

Posted by Peter Judge on 06-May-2015 09:14

With one exception: you cannot change the buffers of a static query dynamically.

-- epter

[collapse]
From: Tim Kuehn [mailto:bounce-timk519@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 06 May, 2015 10:09
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Error when making static query dynamic

Reply by Tim Kuehn

Get the query handle

qh = QUERY qName:HANDLE.

and use it just like a dynamic query.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 06-May-2015 09:26

I have, in the past, changed the query associated with a browse - although, IIRC, I had to keep the same buffer structure for it to work. In the pre-9.0 / dynamic query days, this worked well.

It'd be worth trying to see what would happen if one took a standard browse, changed the associated query to one with a different buffer structure, and saw what would happen. I'm thinking it should work, as long as the buffers the browse uses is still in in the query buffers.

Posted by cverbiest on 06-May-2015 09:59

> It'd be worth trying to see what would happen if one took a standard browse,  changed the associated query to one with a different buffer structure, and saw what would happen.

OE 11.5 Error 8340 :  To change a BROWSE's QUERY attribute, the new query must have the same number of tables as the original query. (8340)

> I'm thinking it should work, as long as the buffers the browse uses is still in in the query buffers.

I agree it should work, but

It doesn't, unless you have the same buffers in the same order as the staic query but than you can just as well do a dynamic-query prepare of the statically defined query, saves you the create and clean-up of the query.

Posted by peggycole on 06-May-2015 10:06

That is exactly my issue. Actually, I think the static query should not work because the customer table in this case is not in the query as a buffer (only order is) but for some reason it works .. And I was hoping for the same behaviour while accessing the query in a dynamic way but there seems to be some "translation" difference between the 2 at run-time ...

This thread is closed