Connection to OE DB without password

Posted by Riverside Software on 30-Apr-2015 09:42

Hi,

Is there a way to connect to an OpenEdge DB and use the current session login name as the DB username, without having to provide the password using -P or setting the password in client-principal ?

Thanks

All Replies

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 30-Apr-2015 10:19

Hello,

In a client-server application, a qualified 'yes' using some Domain configurations, but the means to do that is not obvious.  

You will need to consider the need for a DBA direct login capability, and if a copy of the DB grows legs and walks to another system it can be accessed by any account on that new system.

We can take this offline for a detailed discussion if you want to continue to explore this path, since it generally involves OS configurations to keep the data safe.

Mike J.

Posted by cverbiest on 04-May-2015 04:36

An option is to not specify anything, progress will use the os user as logon id

Example of sports db with 2 users that didn't log on.

[root@server01 appl]# proshut /tmp/sports -C list
usr    pid    time of login           user id     tty                  Limbo?
  5  17356 Mon May  4 08:38:10 2015   root        /dev/pts/3           no
 24  12176 Mon May  4 08:37:37 2015   myuser      mylaptop         no

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 04-May-2015 05:39

FYI:

As soon as 1 _user table account is added, or add another OE Domain that supports login, and that behavior gets turned off.  

Posted by George Potemkin on 04-May-2015 09:26

If there are no records in _User table then you can connect database using ANY name of your choice (with a little help of some trick ;-).

Posted by Riverside Software on 04-May-2015 09:38

And in this case, I also want to have a domain configured ! One of the points for example is not to have any clear-text passwords for appserver processes. But I'm still gathering requirements.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 04-May-2015 15:37

[quote user="Riverside Software"]

And in this case, I also want to have a domain configured ! One of the points for example is not to have any clear-text passwords for appserver processes. But I'm still gathering requirements.

[/quote]

If all you need is non clear-text passwords, the oech1:: prefix may be sufficient (http://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/dmadm/specifying-encrypted-passwords.html)

This thread is closed