Confusing Documents on Pacific AS

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 20-Apr-2015 11:52

Greetings.

I'm trying to use pacific server, as I must move from appserver to pacific server, but came to a point I don't understand:

The "Introducing PAS for OE" handbook, states on page24:

"...Pacific Application Server for OpenEdge (PAS for OE) is not a unifed broker product..." (typo included)

So I understand from this, that there is no management console to configure the product...

and on "OE Management Pacific: AS for OE Configuration" handbook, on "Creating a PAS for OE instance" chapter is says:

"...OpenEdge Management and OpenEdge Explorer provide a sample PAS..."

but before that there is no clue in how to run that products (OE mngmt and OE Explorer)

So if I understand correctly, the sample pas should be configured from a 64 bit machine with other license? develop, for instance..

Unfortunatelly, docs are not clear enough.. so I haven't found first steps with Pacific server....

Any help will be appreciatted...

All Replies

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 20-Apr-2015 12:07

Hello Octavio,

Not being a 'unified broker' product means that the AppServer and WebSpeed component (i.e. the broker) that managed all of the client connections, ABL sessions (OS processes), and scheduling of ABL client requests is different.  From this you can assume that the PAS for OE's equivalent operates differently and will be configured differently.

PAS for OE can still be remotely managed via the OEE/OEM console, just like the classic AppServer and WebSpeed.  The PAS for OE configuration and administration pages are different, because the server itself is different.

The PAS for OE server will only install and run on 64 bit hardware, and is a separate license than is used for the classic WebSpeed and AppServer.   When you do install the development version of the PAS for OE server, an initial test instance is created for you in WRKDIR named 'oepas1'.   This is roughly the equivalent of installing the classic AppServer and having ASBROKER1 test instance created for you.

As a new type of server, PAS for OE has some new and different attributes to adjust to.   We can help you out in this forum or take this offline if need be.  To begin with, what you done so far and what is it you want to accomplish?

Mike Jacobs

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 20-Apr-2015 12:30

Thanks for answering...

I always vote for keep this discussion here, as I believe that leaving proof her, will help someone else, as I search for a solution before posting... few days ago, a post from early 2013, answered a little doubt I had...

well.. So far I installed Progress_OE_115_win_64_PPRODAS, but from there is no clue what's next step, as the proenv from that install won't run PROTC, nor TCMAN, neither run LOCALHOST:9090, nor localhost:8810..

I have no webserver running,. should I install one?, I bet yes...

Is there an recommendation for a web server?  Is xampp ok?

Also, installing the PAS for development mode, is something that eludes me, as I downloaded the package for development, but it ask for license, and when insert the license file, it shows App server deployment, so I cancel install..

I installed on a new cpu, as I need to move current clients from appserver, so I can ditch that computer...

What I want to accomplish  is to use Pacific for current appserver clients, and also serve the mobile apps I am  developing..

Thanks Michael.

Posted by mbanks on 20-Apr-2015 12:59

PAS is based on Apache Tomcat, so it *is* a web server…

[collapse]
From: OctavioOlguin [mailto:bounce-OctavioOlguin@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 1:31 PM
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Confusing Documents on Pacific AS

Reply by OctavioOlguin

Thanks for answering...

I always vote for keep this discussion here, as I believe that leaving proof her, will help someone else, as I search for a solution before posting... few days ago, a post from early 2013, answered a little doubt I had...

well.. So far I installed Progress_OE_115_win_64_PPRODAS, but from there is no clue what's next step, as the proenv from that install won't run PROTC, nor TCMAN, neither run LOCALHOST:9090, nor localhost:8810..

I have no webserver running,. should I install one?, I bet yes...

Is there an recommendation for a web server?  Is xampp ok?

Also, installing the PAS for development mode, is something that eludes me, as I downloaded the package for development, but it ask for license, and when insert the license file, it shows App server deployment, so I cancel install..

I installed on a new cpu, as I need to move current clients from appserver, so I can ditch that computer...

What I want to accomplish  is to use Pacific for current appserver clients, and also serve the mobile apps I am  developing..

Thanks Michael.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 20-Apr-2015 13:01

(keep trying)

I found the tcman.bat, inside  %DL%\servers\pasoe\bin... so adjusted proenv.bat accordingly...

Posted by Matt Baker on 20-Apr-2015 13:23

Here is direct link to the task guide doc set for getting started with PAS for openedge management

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Here is doc for tcman:

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Here is migration guide from classic appserver to PASOE:

Posted by Matt Baker on 20-Apr-2015 13:38

As Mike said, if you have dev license for PASOE you will by default have an 'oepas1' instance.  This lives in $WRKDIR/oepas1 directory.  OEM/OEE will already know about this instance and you can start/stop it from within OEM simply by finding the appropriate resource and using start/stop buttons.  PDSOE should also find the instance on first run and you can start/stop the instance from the servers view within PDSOE.  You also have the option of using tcman start/stop commands if you prefer the command line.  You'll find a copy of tcman within the instance at $WRKDIR/oepas1/bin/tcman.sh|bat (extension depends on platform of course).

From within OEM you can navigate to the 'ABL applications' link on oepas1 resource home page) and edit the configuration for the agents to specify database startup parameters and PROPATH.  Beyond that it is a matter of configuring your clients to connect to the appropriate URL (printed out in OEM for convenience on ABL application page, also available from tcman env command)

If you are running production license, there is no default instance.  In this case you can create the instance through either tcman create command (see link to tcman guide above) or via the wizard in OEM (oem just uses tcman underneath).  Note that for production system, the instance is locked down from a security perspective and you'll have to turn back on several things to make it work.  I'll leave that to more specific questions for later.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 20-Apr-2015 18:44

Thanks Matt..

Starting to get it clearly...  Hard at first, but reading more and more, it gets little by little clear...

Using TCMAN, I face this:

C:\PAS>tcman create oepas1
info: Arg1 - C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe
info: Arg2 - C:\PAS\oepas1
info: Arg3 - create
info: executing oe_manager create
info: verifying source PASOE bin files
info: copying PASOE bin files into directory structure
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in instance directory bin files
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in C:\PAS\oepas1\bin\deployREST.bat to C:\PAS\oepa
s1
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in C:\PAS\oepas1\bin\deploySOAP.bat to C:\PAS\oepa
s1
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in C:\PAS\oepas1\bin\oeprop.bat to C:\PAS\oepas1
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in C:\PAS\oepas1\bin\oeabl_tlr.bat to C:\PAS\oepas
info: copying CATALINA_HOME openedge folders into instance directory structure
info: running oeabl tailoring script
info: psc.as.security.model is prod
Carece de privilegios suficientes para realizar esta operación.
server instance oepas1 created at C:\PAS\oepas1
done - complete any manual edits at this time.

The problem is third line up: "Carece de privilegios..."  is something like "You lack privileges for doing this operation"...

I wonder if it will be trouble ahead?

Also, I'm on PDSOE 32 bits, that's why I dont' have oepas1 created... don't you agree? when trying to create server by hand, it ask for local pas.. so, thinking aloud... "Should I migrate development to 64 bits?", "what will happen with mi client-networking clients that must run on 32 bit?"

TIA

Posted by Irfan on 20-Apr-2015 18:55

Make sure you have right privileges to the location on which you are creating your instance. If you are able to ping your server then it is good to go. To ping your server you need to provide the URL http://<hostname>:<instance_http_port>

You can get your instance http port by executing the below command in C:/PAS/oepas1/bin
“tcman.bat config psc.as.http.port “

Regards,
Irfan

[collapse]
Sent: 20 April 2015 19:46

Reply by OctavioOlguin

Thanks Matt..

Starting to get it clearly...  Hard at first, but reading more and more, it gets little by little clear...

s1
s1
The problem is third line up: "Carece de privilegios..."  is something like "You lack privileges for doing this operation"...

Also, I'm on PDSOE 32 bits, that's why I dont' have oepas1 created... don't you agree?  when trying to create server by hand, it ask for local pas.. so, thinking aloud... "Should I migrate development to 64 bits?", "what will happen with mi client-networking clients that must run on 32 bit?"

TIA

[/collapse]

Posted by Matt Baker on 20-Apr-2015 22:04

From a client perspective, it matters not at all if they are different bitness than the server.  r-code is also compatible between 32-64 so no need to recompile either.

From a dev perspective, since PASOE only comes with 64 bit license, you'll probably end up with 64 bit everything else.  PDSOE does pretty much all its work for start/stop/deploy through OEM so it doesn't really care about bitness of PAS instance in that case either, but its simpler to just have it all the same.  The biggest gotcha with mismatch bitness is if your clients are using com object or some .dll that is 32 bit in which case you'll end up with 64 bit PAS and 32 bit dev environment.

Posted by Peter Judge on 21-Apr-2015 07:54

Also, I'm on PDSOE 32 bits, that's why I dont' have oepas1 created... don't you agree?  when trying to create server by hand, it ask for local pas.. so, thinking aloud... "Should I migrate development to 64 bits?", "what will happen with mi client-networking clients that must run on 32 bit?"

The only reason to keep a 32-bit client is if your application uses OCX's. Otherwise you should just go to 64-bit.

-- peter

[collapse]
Sent: Monday, 20 April, 2015 19:46

Reply by OctavioOlguin

Thanks Matt..

s1
s1
The problem is third line up: "Carece de privilegios..."  is something like "You lack privileges for doing this operation"...

TIA

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 21-Apr-2015 08:03

To add to that, 32bit clients can connect to 64bit server and AppServer processes. The rcode is transferrable across the bitness so you still have one code deployment.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 21-Apr-2015 08:44

Thanks all!

Irfan... I tried to to ping http://appserver1:8080 (from other computer in network), but to no avail, neither it worked pinging http://localhost:8080 on the same machine.... (I knew that ping checks if host is alive, not the port is responding..) ????

Posted by Matt Baker on 21-Apr-2015 08:46

Can you run >tcman env and copy out here what it prints out.

Posted by David Cleary on 21-Apr-2015 08:48

Irfan,

Based on Octavio’s create instance capture, it looks like he is running into a permissions issue and his instance is not being fully tailored.

Octavio,

Can you start up a proenv window as an administrator and try to create a new instance using either pasman or $DLC/servers/pasoe/bin/tcman? Want to confirm the error message went away.

Dave

[collapse]
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:45 AM

Reply by OctavioOlguin

Thanks all!

Irfan... I tried to to ping http://appserver1:8080 (from other computer in network), but to no avail, neither it worked pinging http://localhost:8080 on the same machine.... (I knew that ping checks if host is alive, not the port is responding..) ????

[/collapse]

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 21-Apr-2015 17:14

Thanks David...

Yesterday I opened proenv to try some tcman commands, but when I realized that I was about to create some interesting stuff, I launched, as customary, the proenv as admin, but I bet I misplaced the proenv windows, and launched the create on proenv no-administrator mode.... as now that I did it on admin's proenv, it worked:

C:\PAS>tcman create pas1
info: Arg2 - C:\PAS\pas1
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in C:\PAS\pas1\bin\deployREST.bat to C:\PAS\pas1
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in C:\PAS\pas1\bin\deploySOAP.bat to C:\PAS\pas1
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in C:\PAS\pas1\bin\oeprop.bat to C:\PAS\pas1
info: updating CATALINA_BASE in C:\PAS\pas1\bin\oeabl_tlr.bat to C:\PAS\pas1
vínculo simbólico creado para C:\PAS\pas1\bin\oepropCmd.bat <<===>> C:\PAS\pas1\
bin\oeprop.bat
server instance pas1 created at C:\PAS\pas1
C:\PAS>tcman start pas1
Using CATALINA_BASE:   "C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe"
Using CATALINA_HOME:   "C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\temp"
Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Progress\OpenEdge\jdk"
Using CLASSPATH:       ";C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\bootstrap.jar;C
:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\tomcat-juli.jar;C:\Progress\OpenEdge\serv
ers\pasoe\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"
PAS started with process IDs: 364 3696
True

Thanks!

(btw, I just upgraded to 64 bits... let's see all that stuff as the manuals present it..)

This thread is closed