How to use (environment) variables in PASOE propath

Posted by cverbiest on 13-Mar-2015 10:56

Hi,

I want to define a variable application_root that refers to the application installation directory and use that in PASOE configuration.

I'm looking for a way to have variable expansion in the PASOE propath.

Variables such as ${psc.as.oe.dlc} used in the other parameters don't seem to work. They appear unexpanded in the resulting propath

How / where can I define variables in PASOE configuration ?

How can I define propath and other PASOE settings using those variables ?

Posted by Irfan on 13-Mar-2015 11:09

You can define environment variables in PASOE, by setting a _setenv.sh or _setenv.bat file in the instance bin directory and get the variable value in the server logic by OS-GETENV("name of the the variable").

All Replies

Posted by Irfan on 13-Mar-2015 11:09

You can define environment variables in PASOE, by setting a _setenv.sh or _setenv.bat file in the instance bin directory and get the variable value in the server logic by OS-GETENV("name of the the variable").

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 13-Mar-2015 13:29

To expand on Irfan's response:

The server instance's conf/openedge.properties is a single point of configuring all of the OpenEdge related components, which can run in either the PAS [java] web server or in the multi-session agent.   Every property for components running in the PAS [java] web server resolves Java system properties ( like ${psc....}, and every property used by the multi-session agent resolves OS process environment variables ( like ${DLC} ).   I try to remember that if the group begins with [AppServer.Agent... ] I use OS process environment variables and for everything else I use Java system properties.

PAS will automatically execute the instance's /bin directory's *_setenv.sh ( *_setenv.bat for that Windows thing ) scripts at startup.   So for instance I like to create a 'myapp_setenv.sh' in the /bin directory and place all of the OS process environment variable definitions there.

The standard OS process environment variable ${CATALINA_BASE} will resolve to the PASOE instance's root directory path and is handy in the ABL Agent for getting at the work and temp directories.

Mike J.

[collapse]