PCT (Build automation tool) repository

Posted by Riverside Software on 13-Mar-2015 02:15

Hi all,

Google just announced that they will be closing Google Code within a few months. As PCT documentation, issue tracker and repository were hosted there, I now mainly have 2 alternatives, GitHub and BitBucket (using Mercurial). For those of you who are working with PCT, and more importantly those who already hacked the source code, what would be your preferred hosting service ?

Gilles

All Replies

Posted by Riverside Software on 13-Mar-2015 02:17

And if you don't know PCT, you can have a look at the website here

Posted by Mike Fechner on 13-Mar-2015 02:32

Progress Communities SCM.

Jean was mentioning such a Service for The future.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: Riverside Software
Gesendet: ‎13.‎03.‎2015 08:16
An: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE General] PCT (Build automation tool) repository

Thread created by Riverside Software

Hi all,

Google just announced that they will be closing Google Code within a few months. As PCT documentation, issue tracker and repository were hosted there, I now mainly have 2 alternatives, GitHub and BitBucket (using Mercurial). For those of you who are working with PCT, and more importantly those who already hacked the source code, what would be your preferred hosting service ?

Gilles

Posted by Riverside Software on 13-Mar-2015 02:54

Why not, if it provides as many services as BitBucket or GitHub... And if it stays open for more than 6 months.

Posted by bronco on 13-Mar-2015 03:01

I would choose Bitbucket over github any day because:

- I can have both private and public repos for free (everything I build is in a Hg bitbucket repo but I don't want to share everything).

- I use Mercurial (because I think it's more straightforward than Git, but let's not get into religious debates)

- it looks better

- easier team management

just my 2c

Posted by Riverside Software on 13-Mar-2015 03:04

Thanks Bronco !

Posted by Marian Edu on 13-Mar-2015 03:07

+1 for mercurial, bitbucket (they also give you the option to use git btw)

communities scm... guess it makes as much sense for psc to host that as it does for google, there are other valid options out there so why bother?

Posted by cverbiest on 13-Mar-2015 03:08

I agree with bronco

Posted by Mike Fechner on 13-Mar-2015 03:14

“communities scm... guess it makes as much sense for psc to host that as it does for google, there are other valid options out there so why bother?”

Reaching the right cloud of people on a central place.

I guess it’s Jean’s call to comment on the availability on Progress Communities SCM.

Posted by Riverside Software on 13-Mar-2015 03:15

BitBucket 3 - GitHub 0

Posted by bronco on 13-Mar-2015 03:50

[quote user="Mike Fechner"]

“communities scm... guess it makes as much sense for psc to host that as it does for google, there are other valid options out there so why bother?”

Reaching the right cloud of people on a central place.

[/quote]

I guess that could be served with just a page with links to (external) repositories as well. This gives everybody the possibility to use their site/scm tool of choice. I agree with Marian.

Posted by RJPowell on 13-Mar-2015 04:15

Another +1 for Bitbucket here.

Posted by pedromarcerodriguez on 13-Mar-2015 04:29

+1 for github, I agree that private repositories are a nice feature, of course, but we are talking about an open source project, github is "de facto" standard for open source projects, having lot more exposure (meaning more possible contributors) than bitbucket.

Posted by Rom Elwell on 13-Mar-2015 08:00

Another +1 for github.

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 13-Mar-2015 08:13

+1 for Bitbucket

Posted by Jean Richert on 13-Mar-2015 08:37

Hi all,

When we released Community 2.0, we introduced a new group named Code Share. At this stage, we are offering our users to reference their open source projects within a catalogue in our Community. Users are asked to provide a limited number of info about their projects as we didn't want to make it too heavy to reference their projects. A short user manual is available here. Users can tag their projects in the way they prefer and, keep in mind that community content is Google indexed.

Taking such an approach, it gives the freedom to our users to have their projects repos hosted on their preferred platform and can use the full power of what these different hosted services offer today. I do not believe we should start building our own hosted services as we will never be able to "compete" neither with Bitbucket nor with GitHub or any other platform available today on the market. It's also a good way for us (Progress) to avoid entering in a debate about what would be the best possible hosted services :-) as some prefer GitHub and others BitBucket.

This is rather simple/simplistic as an approach but at least it enables users to start referencing in a single place (our Communty) their open source projects and other users could then find these when searching the Community.

We probably haven't promoted it well enough but it's available and waiting for you guys to start adding your good stuff in it and who knows? Maybe in the future we'll add more functionality such as the Community search engine searching GitHub/BitBucket repos and expose results sets within the Community search results.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Mar-2015 10:33

There is always OEHive ...

Posted by Jean Richert on 13-Mar-2015 11:38

Sorry Thomas I forgot to mention OEHive as a possible option too.
And here is a link to a wikipedia page providing more possible solutions.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_code_software_hosting_facilities

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 13-Mar-2015 11:48

Jean, you guys could always fire up a Roundtable Team server on an Arcade machine and make it publicly available.

Jeff Ledbetter