Configuration AppServer

Posted by bart.syryn on 12-Mar-2015 14:15

Hi, I have two questions about configuring AppServer. I think that for most of the people on the forum that it will be simple questions.... First : I have a webclient application that connects through AIA to a server in a datacenter. Everything works when I use the public IP-adres of the server : HTTP://IpAdressServer/aia/Aia?AppService=AS_Web. Now I've created a subdomain that points to 'IpAdressServer'. (application.domainname.eu). When I open in a browser the following URL: http://application.domainname.eu/aia/Aia I get result 'Aia1 OK' But my webclient application isn't working anymore. I get error that it could not connect to the AppServer (URL : HTTP://application.domainname.eu/aia/Aia?AppService=AS_Web. What do I need to change in the configuration to use the subdomain in the URL instead of the Public IP-Adres ? Second : I set up a database to have multiple servers, i.e. 10 users per server. Minport is 4000 and maxport 4010. So the servers get port 4000, 4001, 4002 and 4003. I have an AppServer that connects to the database (using a .pf file with -H -S). I need to provide a portnumber for -S, so I use 4000. But offcourse when AppServer 11 starts, it can't connect to the database server on port 4000 (max. 10 users per server). How can I solve this, is there a way to set the AppServer that it connects to one of the database server ? Is it a good performance to add multiple servers to a database, and how many clients per server is advised ? Kind regards Bart Syryn And why is my formatting of text when I post a question on the site not correct ???

Posted by bart.syryn on 16-Mar-2015 02:18

With the help of Ruben, the two problems are fixed !

Many thanks !

All Replies

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 13-Mar-2015 02:41

To answer the second question: you don't use your Minport as port to connect to for an AppServer. You should use the 'Service name or port' as defined in the server group.

As for your first question: are you connecting to the AppServer using a NameServer?

Posted by bart.syryn on 13-Mar-2015 02:57

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for the reply.

What exactly do you mean by 'you should use the service name or port' ?

For the database I set the 'service name or port' to 4000 (defaultservergroup) and the minport 4000 and maxport 4010.

In the .pf-file of the AppServer I use -S 4000.

Is it better performance when I multiple servers for the database ? (ie. 10 clients per server).

About the first question, I'm using the NameServer to connect to the AppServer.

Kind regards

Bart S.

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 13-Mar-2015 03:09

As described in knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P19269, the port specified by the -S parameter is separate from the range given by -minport and -maxport.

The reason why you would use multiple servers is when you expect multiple concurrent client connections to your database.

Ok, and for the AppServer question:

- what is your AppServer host name (in AIA config)?

- what is your NameServer host name (NS config)?

Any messages in your NameServer log file?

Any messages in your AIA log file?

Posted by bart.syryn on 13-Mar-2015 03:25

Read KB 19269, and I know that I need to set the min and maxport.  But my question is, if I configure that max. clients per database server is 10 and I start 4 servers I can handle 40 clients.  The first server gets port 4000, the second 4001, etc.

In my AppServer PF file I use -S 4000, but when AppServer 11 is started, it can not connect to the database because there are already 10 clients connected to the first server of the database (port 4000).

The AppServer hostname in AIA and NS config is 'localhost'.  I don't find anything in the AIA.log and the NS.log.

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 13-Mar-2015 03:33

What I was trying to say there is that the Service Name / Port should not be a port in the range you defined within Min / Maxport

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 13-Mar-2015 03:36

And could you try changing your host name of the NameServer to your public IP address?

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 13-Mar-2015 03:44
Posted by bart.syryn on 13-Mar-2015 04:57

Hi Ruben,

Read P127410 and it's now clear to me.  I wasn't aware that the -S port shouldn't be in the range of min- and maxport. I always thought it should be... Thanks for you patience....

I changed the nameserver to 'remote' and entered the public ipadres, but still no luck... I found it very strange that 'HTTP://IpAdressServer/aia/Aia?AppService=AS_Web' isn't the same as 'application.domainname.eu/.../Aia ...

Posted by bart.syryn on 16-Mar-2015 02:18

With the help of Ruben, the two problems are fixed !

Many thanks !

This thread is closed