OE DataServer

Posted by Arno van der Ende on 05-Mar-2015 02:35

One of our customers wants to upgrade to 11.5.

On a Windows 2003 Server a Microsoft Sql Server database is running where OE DataServer for MSS (10.2B) is installed. The schema holder is running on a AIX server.
It is not possible to install 11.5 on the Windows server and (for now) it is not possible to upgrade the Windows version.

Is it mandatory to have the OE DataServer installed on the same server as the msql database or is it possible to install it on another machine (i.e. Windows 2008 server) and have a remote connection to the msql database?

All Replies

Posted by Rob Debbage on 05-Mar-2015 03:21

Hi,

The DataServer can be installed on a different machine to the SQL Server install. The connection is ultimately established via an ODBC driver so having the DataServer on a machine that is remote from the MSS database should not be an issue.

-Rob

Posted by cverbiest on 05-Mar-2015 04:14

Some of your infrastructure can't be upgraded, will you be mixing different OpenEdge versions or will all OpenEdge clients connecting to the dataserver use oe11.5 ?

In the past I've seen that the usual one major version can connect to databases of same major version or mayor version - 1 doesn't always work with dataservers. In 10.2B you even had to be on the same service pack. See progress.my.salesforce.com/.../P187956

Posted by Arno van der Ende on 05-Mar-2015 04:22

Hi Rob,

We will have to give that a try. Should the ODBC driver be installed on the machine where the MSS database is running? Perhaps I come back to you when I have more questions.

Posted by Arno van der Ende on 05-Mar-2015 04:25

thanks for your reply.

In the end everything (clients/appservers/webclients/database) must be migrated to oe11.5. From a 11.5 client it is not possible to connect to a 10x dataserver database.

Posted by Rob Debbage on 06-Mar-2015 01:57

Hi,

The ODBC driver would need to be installed and configured on the same machine as the DataServer.

-Rob

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 06-Mar-2015 03:24

Rob,

If I understand correctly. We can remove V10 dataserver from the currently used Windows 2003 (service pack 1 which is not supported voor V11). Install the V11 dataserver on a seperate Windows 2012 server and configure the MSS DB connection to the remote machine using something like -H and -S equivelant of ODBC.

Would this result a performance penalty?

We want to upgrade OE and move from AIX to RedHat and run the schemaholder on V11 on Linux.

Richard

Posted by Rob Debbage on 06-Mar-2015 09:59

Hi Richard,

Ø  Install the V11 dataserver on a seperate Windows 2012 server and configure the MSS DB connection to the remote machine using something like -H and -S equivelant of ODBC.

Essentially yes. Your client would be connecting to a DataServer broker (either the Unified Broker controlled by the AdminServer, or the command-line _probrkr) running on the Win2012 box. When the DataServer broker receives a connection from the OE client on Linux then it will spawn a new process (_msssrv.exe) which establishes the connection to the MSS database via ODBC.

Ø  Would this result a performance penalty?

I would assume that there would be a hit, but could not comment on the scope of it. You would be adding an extra network “hop” to your configuration; your ODBC connection would be to a remote MSS database rather than to one that is local to it which would likely have an impact.

-Rob

[collapse]