Server 2012 R2 - Appserver connections using Nameserver not

Posted by tbergman on 01-Mar-2015 10:51

Progress 11.3.2 64 Bit

Last night we upgraded a development server from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 R2. When done, databases started fine, appservers started fine, everything looked OK except we couldn't connect to any of the AppServers. After a little testing, and a look at our only other Server 2012 server, we realized that we used the -DirectConnect for all our AppServer startups on the other server. This server used the NameServer.

The NameServer was working fine in Server 2008, the log files show that it starts normally and services register with it properly, we just can't use it to connect to anything.

Now, I don't really care that much since my current preference is to use -DirectConnect anyway, but I'm wondering is anyone knows the reason for this? Same server, different OS. The connections fail when on the local machine so it's not firewall related.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted by tbergman on 04-Mar-2015 05:43

Thanks Roy,

This may have identified the problem. The IP address listed is not the IP address we conventionally associate with this server.

The IP address listed is shown by IPCONFIG as the address belonging to the "Ethernet Adapter TSM" and is the 7.7.*.* range. The address we would normally use is in the10.200.*.* range and is associated with "Ethernet Adapter Ethernet0".

While I'm satisfied running with -DirectConnect, how would I change the IP address for the NameServer so the AppServers would show with the correct IP address?

Thanks,

Tom

All Replies

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 01-Mar-2015 11:11

Hi.

I can’t remember the details and I may be thinking of another issue, but I remember having to switch my host name from ‘localhost’ to the actual host name to work around an appserver connection issue.

I know.. not very helpful.

Jeff Ledbetter
[...]

Posted by James Palmer on 01-Mar-2015 11:47

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't link directly but if you look at my very recent threads there is one about appservers on 2012 (not r2). There is a link there to stuff about local security policy settings. Make sure that is all implemented and reboot the server. See if that helps.

James Palmer | Application Developer
[...]

Posted by RichardElvin on 02-Mar-2015 16:24

Apologies if this is stating the obvious but when connecting directly to the AppServer agents you would hit different port(s) than that of the NameServer – have you changed the port your connecting on?

Richard Elvin.

[collapse]
[...]

Notice:  All email and instant messages (including attachments) sent to
or from Franklin Templeton Investments (FTI) personnel may be retained,
monitored and/or reviewed by FTI and its agents, or authorized
law enforcement personnel, without further notice or consent.
.

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by tbergman on 02-Mar-2015 16:57

The server was upgrades to Server 2012 in-place. It was Server 2008. It has the same file systems, Progress installation, properties files, users etc. The only change was the OS version.

Our connection parameters did point to the nameserver on port 5163. The appserver ports should have been assigned by the nameserver. When we switched to DirectConnect in order to get things working, we did change to the AppServer ports. DirectConnect works fine. It's still a mystery why the NameServer wouldn't work.

Posted by Roy Ellis on 03-Mar-2015 14:00

Hi Tom,

lets go back to basics:

1) does the NameServer start?

2) what does the nsman -name <nameServer> -query say?

3) if nsman -query works, are the AppServers shown as connected?

4) if nsman -query works, are the IP addresses for the AppServers correct?

All that being said, the big difference between DirectConnect and NameServer is the use of UDP instead of TCP.  Maybe Windows 2012 R2 disables UDP by default?  Maybe there is UDP bug?  I did find an article where remote desktop using UDP was a very unstable.

Let me know what you find,  Roy

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Mar-2015 14:05

Hi Folks,

One thing I have found on Win 2012 while doing vmware stuff...

You need to run the following commands otherwise networking is very, very iffy (i.e. gateway will go down):

netsh interface teredo set state disable
netsh interface isatap set state disable

This seems to be a known problem with Win 2012.

Brian

Posted by tbergman on 04-Mar-2015 05:43

Thanks Roy,

This may have identified the problem. The IP address listed is not the IP address we conventionally associate with this server.

The IP address listed is shown by IPCONFIG as the address belonging to the "Ethernet Adapter TSM" and is the 7.7.*.* range. The address we would normally use is in the10.200.*.* range and is associated with "Ethernet Adapter Ethernet0".

While I'm satisfied running with -DirectConnect, how would I change the IP address for the NameServer so the AppServers would show with the correct IP address?

Thanks,

Tom

This thread is closed