Which Benchmark tools should we use ?

Posted by cverbiest on 25-Feb-2015 02:55

Hi,

As more en more servers are hosted in the cloud we have less and less control over how the server actually performs.

I'm looking for Benchmarks to test the servers before we start using them.

• preferably not OpenEdge specific (*), but testing metrics that are relevant to OpenEdge. Not interested in game performance unless the same metric is also useful to OpenEdge GUI & DB
  • Windows & linux platform, my current search is mainly for Windows non-db (GUI)

Types of tests

• Windows GUI performance
  • Disk performance
  • CPU
  • Memory

Thanks for any advices, hints, ...

(*) trying to avoid this other stuff works fine, it's an OpenEdge issue

Posted by Irfan on 26-Feb-2015 09:22

Hi,

I have looked at your post but I did not quite understand at which layer you would like to do your testing.

1. Presentation Layer/Client Side

2. Appserver logic layer

3. Database Layer

If you are doing at the Presentation layer, then you might/might not be using a mix of Client Environment(OpenEdge and non OpenEdge). In this case, I would suggest you using tools that would record your functional flow and do the Performance testing of the same. You can look for tools like Telerik Test Studio which would record your functional use-case and play it back.

To get OS level information which includes memory,CPU,Network and other things you can rely on Operating system specific tools. When I do for linux I generally use tools like "top" for OS Memory and CPU and then "nicstat" for network level information and then "jstat" to get Garbage Collection statistics of my server.

For Windows, you can use "perfmon" utility or if you would like to write your own scripts using command line utilities provided by powershell.

Hope it helps. Please let me if you are looking any specific information.

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 27-Feb-2015 03:53

Hi Carl,

You could have a look at Phoronix Test Suite (www.phoronix-test-suite.com) for an open-source testing and benchmarking solution. It works on both Linux and Windows.

I also found a (2011) pug challenge presentation about benchmarking VM's and they were using DaCapo benchmark suite (dacapobench.org), but that website and product haven't been updated since 2012.

There's a more complete list though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmark_%28computing%29#Open_source_benchmarks

Regards,

Ruben

All Replies

Posted by Irfan on 26-Feb-2015 09:22

Hi,

I have looked at your post but I did not quite understand at which layer you would like to do your testing.

1. Presentation Layer/Client Side

2. Appserver logic layer

3. Database Layer

If you are doing at the Presentation layer, then you might/might not be using a mix of Client Environment(OpenEdge and non OpenEdge). In this case, I would suggest you using tools that would record your functional flow and do the Performance testing of the same. You can look for tools like Telerik Test Studio which would record your functional use-case and play it back.

To get OS level information which includes memory,CPU,Network and other things you can rely on Operating system specific tools. When I do for linux I generally use tools like "top" for OS Memory and CPU and then "nicstat" for network level information and then "jstat" to get Garbage Collection statistics of my server.

For Windows, you can use "perfmon" utility or if you would like to write your own scripts using command line utilities provided by powershell.

Hope it helps. Please let me if you are looking any specific information.

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 27-Feb-2015 03:53

Hi Carl,

You could have a look at Phoronix Test Suite (www.phoronix-test-suite.com) for an open-source testing and benchmarking solution. It works on both Linux and Windows.

I also found a (2011) pug challenge presentation about benchmarking VM's and they were using DaCapo benchmark suite (dacapobench.org), but that website and product haven't been updated since 2012.

There's a more complete list though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmark_%28computing%29#Open_source_benchmarks

Regards,

Ruben

Posted by cverbiest on 27-Feb-2015 04:35

Thanks you Ruben and Irfan

I'll try the Phoronix Test Suite

Posted by bronco on 03-Mar-2015 03:01

Hello Carl, would you be willing to share your findings? It would be interesting whether the Phoronix Test Suite gives an accurate view of the performance of a system in relation to OpenEdge. Thanks!

Posted by cverbiest on 03-Mar-2015 03:08

I will, if I manage to install it. Currently running on RHEL 5.x and I'm stuck on  php dependencies which require a newer php version.

This thread is closed