db.lic file is empty_volume of db license

Posted by apodsiad on 02-Feb-2015 04:41

Hi there,

Customer is trying to open the db.lic file but this one is empty, would you have a clue why ? they are trying to open it as they would like to understand balance loads in order to distinguish the number of DB licenses required in the future...

can someone please advice

thanks,

Agz

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 02-Feb-2015 04:47

Nor without at least a database log file, Aggy.
The only reason why db.lic might be empty I can think of is because of permissions.

[collapse]
From: apodsiad [mailto:bounce-apodsiad@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, February 2, 2015 11:42 AM
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE General] db.lic file is empty_volume of db license

Thread created by apodsiad

Hi there,

Customer is trying to open the db.lic file but this one is empty, would you have a clue why ? they are trying to open it as they would like to understand balance loads in order to distinguish the number of DB licenses required in the future...

can someone please advice

thanks,

Agz

Posted by James Palmer on 02-Feb-2015 04:50

There are a couple of bugs in terms of the reporting in the .lic file (I can't quite remember which versions but I know they're there). So posting your version would probably help. Also, as far as I'm aware the .lic file is not a good indicator of what you want. The different licensing strategies for Progress have different definitions for what constitutes a "user" and they don't necessarily marry up with what is reported in the .lic file.

Posted by apodsiad on 02-Feb-2015 04:52

many thanks Libor, I'll pass your answer

Posted by apodsiad on 02-Feb-2015 04:55

thanks very much James, they are on 10.2b concurrent , what would you suggest as the best way of checking the load balances then ?

Posted by James Palmer on 02-Feb-2015 04:59

No problem. It very much depends on what licensing structure they are on. As I understand it, some structures include AppServer connections and some don't, for example. (I'm not a licensing expert sorry).

Posted by apodsiad on 02-Feb-2015 05:14

yes they use the AppServer, but thanks James, I'll have the customer to give me more details

This thread is closed