Source Control / Software Configuration Management

Posted by Andy Futrell on 14-Jan-2015 09:55

We are looking for a new source code control / config. management tool and I was curious if anyone had any input on the following possibilities:

  • Roundtable TSMS
  • Git
  • Microsoft TFS

I need it to manage source and other assets, build tools and other config management would be great but we could build those as needed.

The vast majority of our development is Progress OE using Architect/Studio but our application runs on a unix server so I would need to be able to retrieve code on the server, do builds, etc.

It would need to manage scripts/etc. used on the serve side.

We do a small amount of C# development using Visual Studio, so would like the tool to be able to handle our C# assets as well.

I've done a high-level look at the three above and all have some pros/cons, I was looking for any first-hand experience given the above needs.  I'm also open to other thoughts, but the three above are on our radar beccause Git/TFS are already used in the company by other teams and Roundtable is so integrated with OE.

Any info appreciated.

andy

All Replies

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 14-Jan-2015 15:01

We have been using TFS for 3.5 years - currently with TFS Server 2012, integration with Eclipse (Architect / PDSOE on Windows and vanilla Eclipse on Linux) is fine.

Recently I've discovered the joys of Jenkins / PCT / Ant  for continuous integration.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 14-Jan-2015 15:08

I have some thoughts on the subject. All three are good tools.

Speaking from a Roundtable TSMS perspective..

It is built by and runs on OpenEdge. For me, that’s important as existing expertise can be leveraged. Besides, we all love OpenEdge right? J

With regards to automation, I like the fact that many automation tasks that require another 3rd-party solution, open-source components, etc. can be done natively and via 4GL when using Roundtable or are just part of the standard Roundtable TSMS feature-set. You can also extend and automate writing 4GL which is big deal (IMHO) instead of learning another piece of technology. I also like the fact that Roundtable helps you to define a framework on how your application should be developed and how changes should be promoted through the lifecycle. Our marketing team likes to call it an assembly line.

If you need additional automation or would like to integrate with Jenkins, our partner appSolutions has built a nice toolkit for Roundtable.

Another cool thing about Roundtable is that you can off-load the processing onto your server. For instance, I can run the Roundtable server on my Linux box and use the GUI tools (plug-in or GUI client) to do my development work. All my processing (compilations for instance) can happen over on the server. Of course, we store cross-referencing and impact analysis data as well which allows you to navigate your application from the repository perspective without having to first check everything out and build a local cache.

I could go on and on. J

FWIW, I don’t feel it necessary to always standardize on a single SCM solution. Sometimes using the best tool for the job is the right choice. It’s easier to integrate disparate systems these days.

Jeff Ledbetter
[...]

Posted by TheMadDBA on 14-Jan-2015 15:58

My 2 cents....

For pure integration with OE (code and DB) it is pretty hard to beat Roundtable. You would have to put a lot of work into parsing XREFs and making your own DB to reproduce all of the features available.

Pure source/object control is pretty easy and there are a lot of options out there. Getting that extra language/DB specific information is the hard part.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Jan-2015 16:10

Note that the more an SCM does, the more likely it is that it is built around a particular assumption of a way of working.  That can be a good thing if you like that way of working because it will reinforce your preferences.  But, if you don't like it, it will be a bad match.

Posted by asthomas on 15-Jan-2015 06:36

I can only second Jeff's comments on the usability of Roundtable - especially with OpenEdge development.

If you need to do OpenEdge application development, schema development and management as well as deployment, I doubt there are any other tools on the market that are more closely integrated with the OpenEdge stack.

This does require that the way in which you and your team works is compatible with the centralized SCM approach that RTB is built on. This is one of the features of Roundtable that a huge majority of the customers I have worked with over the years have seen as a key feature for achieving the control that they were looking for in an SCM tool.

In addition to the extensibility of Roundtable using the ABL, we have done quite a lot of work over the last few years to extend and automate Roundtable processes with the use of the standard APIs, our own extended ABL based APIs - and using Apache Ant Scripts and CI tools like Jenkins.

Together with the Roundtable development team we are looking at what we can do to make it easier to extend Roundtable with other tools and services out there. This includes things like integration with other tools that complement Roundtable like JIRA or other ticketing systems.

This thread is closed