silly cuestión about rest clients

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 27-Dec-2014 11:01

(posted on peg, but still down). Greetings to all!!!. Having good times? Hope so. I have this naive question, but haven' give it a deep thought. I'm starting to learn to publish rest services from appserver. And when did try to test it, I found that i wanted to test with a 4gl client, but haven't found if it's possible to call rest services from the abl? Is it a bad dream I had some days ago? Or there is somehow to call rest services from openedge abl? how is it named in manuals, or handbooks? never figured it before Have great days! Jorge Olguin

All Replies

Posted by Srinivas Munigala on 27-Dec-2014 11:29

ABL is not supported as a rest client. You can use any third party HTTP client.

Posted by jmls on 27-Dec-2014 11:43

not true. 11.4 and 11.5 have a rest client

--
Julian Lyndon-Smith
IT Director,

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 27-Dec-2014 11:43

then the way to go it's web services, then.... If I want a 4gl client to Access some appserver routines...

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 27-Dec-2014 11:45

where can I find info about it?

How it is called in the handbooks?

(english is not my mother language, that's why I can´t find it?)

Thanks Julian.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Dec-2014 11:56

If you have an ABL client and an AppServer, why are you talking REST or Webservices at all instead of just a plain old AppServer connection?   Or, if you want to run it from a browser, WebClient?

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 27-Dec-2014 12:21

I need to have a computer attached to a little  walmart cart-kind of, and want to move to several different sites (slouther houses) and register records  from there.  The thing is I have Little time to acomplish, and it's Little late to learn webspeed, or anything else,all I now is 4gl... ;)

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 27-Dec-2014 12:23

I've read twice your post Tom, and just seen: WebClient.... Thats the way to go, didn't?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Dec-2014 12:44

Well, depends on the rest of the configuration.  If you have a computer on a cart with a wireless ethernet connection to your server, then you could do either Webclient or a regular ABL client as you prefer.   If the connection is remote, i.e., internet, I think there are some tunneling techniques you could use to still do either, but WebClient would minimize the install and licensing on the cart.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 27-Dec-2014 13:13

Mmmhhh.... Tunneling ... very,very interesting....

Perhaps I didn't need to develop nothing at this point and got the turn key solution at hand and didn't noticed.  That would give me more time to develop the mobile apps I owe....

Could you mention some, to have a solid point of start?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Dec-2014 13:27

Not my area of expertise ...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Dec-2014 13:29

Which said, if you want someone to offer clear advice, you would be well advised to provide a clear description of the setup ... the client, the connection, the speeds, the server location, etc.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 27-Dec-2014 14:30

Yes, you are right...

Floating cpu (cart-cpu):  plain vanilla windows amd 4 gb ram

normally, the connection is throug a dsl 4 Mb (telco: Telmex)

in site the entrance is by a 20 Mb cable copper.  (the site has load-balanced 6 telcos 4 Mb dsl's and 2 - 20 Mb cable modem)  managed by a pfSense router.

Database is 11.2 on unix, 16 ram, workgroup database has 100% cache hits.

internal client-server clients:  10 to 15.

appserver unused.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Dec-2014 14:49

So, DSL implies that this connection is across the internet?

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 27-Dec-2014 18:39

Yes, indeed...

Posted by mcs-com on 28-Dec-2014 10:35

Sorry Julian, but I can't find in the documentation.

Where is it explained?

Posted by Jean Richert on 28-Dec-2014 12:31
Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Dec-2014 12:41

Probably not ...

The requested URL /output/OpenEdge115/openedge115/dvwsv/rest-applications.html# was not found on this server.

In any event, I think what he needs at this point is guidance on setting up WebClient or a conventional ABL client across the internet, securely.

Posted by Jean Richert on 28-Dec-2014 12:52

Just updated the link in my previous post... Sorry

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Dec-2014 12:53

Same result

Posted by Jean Richert on 28-Dec-2014 14:23

I was trying to point at "Overview of REST Web services in OpenEdge"

Page 33 at the following link:

documentation.progress.com/.../dvwsv.pdf

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Dec-2014 14:34

That link works ... but I think is not what he needs now.  Now he needs simple ABL Client, possibly WebClient, and connecting securely over the internet.

Posted by Marian Edu on 29-Dec-2014 00:46

REST is not a standard not even a protocol, all you have to do is HTTP requests and that can be done over sockets... however as Thomas said if your both ends are 4GL then why bother with REST or SOAP? Just go with the standard appsrv calls over a VPN or use the HTTP connection to appsrv from WebClient (really there is no need for standard client as you don't connect to the database anymore). You'll have to pay more attention on how much data is sent over the wire in an internet setup but that is the same for REST/SOAP approach.

Posted by mcs-com on 07-Jan-2015 05:05

Jean, this is only in order to publish REST Services.

What I'm looking for is to connect from ABL to REST WebService for others sources that are not based in OpenEdge.

I think that as Thomas and Marian says, is to make a socket connection (secure or not -depends of the source's information-) and work with this.

Thanks to all.

Posted by Peter Judge on 07-Jan-2015 08:50

mcs-com,

The code Julian mentioned is an HTTP client that was added into 11.5 as a technology preview (so not yet formally doc'ed/supported).

-- peter

[collapse]