11.5 is on the open.... any opinion?

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 18-Dec-2014 11:20

Finally (a few months after previous release) it´s commercially available.

It keeps getting bigger and broader, so hard to get up to date with the offerings.

Any toughs?  any advice?  any doc?

Greetings.

Jorge Olguin

All Replies

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 18-Dec-2014 11:49

Yes.. indeed..

Thanks.  It covers the "soft" facts of upgrading.

But who will give the hard facts , or opinions on the moving target is has become openedge?

quite a lot of new tech. and so little time to keep up.

it's been 2 days since I started to embrace the REST appserver, and now there is a pacific (competing?) server..

What would be  a safe bet to adopt? since I have no source code written yet...

Is it the due path to follow?  If I'm about to start developing remote clients, should I wait few hours to get 11.5 and start scratching on Pacific?

Hope to be able to express my toughs and confusions.

TIA

Posted by Peter Judge on 18-Dec-2014 14:10

> quite a lot of new tech. and so little time to keep up.
> it's been 2 days since I started to embrace the REST appserver, and now there is a pacific (competing?) server..

The OE team spends quite a lot of effort making sure that the ABL you write will just work after upgrades. There are some exceptions, but generally you can write code in one version and have it work (pretty much) forever.

As for REST and the PAS for OE (Pacific Application Server for OpenEdge, to give it its full name), you can write once and deploy to either a standard Tomcat , or the OE Web Server (as it was called from 11.2 onwards) , or to the new PAS for OE. There will be a difference in the URL that exposes the REST service, but beyond that the code is portable.

PAS for OE is an evolution of, and replacement for, the OE AppServer (ie the pre 11.5 product).

-- peter

[collapse]
Thanks.  It covers the "soft" facts of upgrading.

But who will give the hard facts , or opinions on the moving target is has become openedge?

quite a lot of new tech. and so little time to keep up.

it's been 2 days since I started to embrace the REST appserver, and now there is a pacific (competing?) server..

What would be  a safe bet to adopt? since I have no source code written yet...

Is it the due path to follow?  If I'm about to start developing remote clients, should I wait few hours to get 11.5 and start scratching on Pacific?

Hope to be able to express my toughs and confusions.

TIA

Posted by Mike Fechner on 18-Dec-2014 14:13

Just to add a small side note:

“PAS for OE is an evolution of, and replacement for, the OE AppServer (ie the pre 11.5 product).”

The classic OpenEdge AppServer is still available!

Posted by Rob Straight on 18-Dec-2014 14:46

Yes, let's be very clear that the OpenEdge AppServer continues to be part of the OpenEdge product offering in OE11.5 and beyond. The Pacific Application Server for OpenEdge is offered as a more performant and less resource-consuming alternative.

As Peter points out, your code can be written to operate in either AppServer without much effort.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Dec-2014 16:18

Which suggests, of course, that if one is just starting out, there would be a good reason to go PASOE.

Posted by Rob Straight on 18-Dec-2014 16:53

Good point Thomas- for those who have not started to take advanted of AppServer capabilities, we would strongly suggest starting with the Pacific Application Server (PAS) for OpenEdge. The advantages over the current OpenEdge AppSever will stand on their own merits, and we also believe that the PAS for OpenEdge can make it a bit easier when contemplating application modernization and a migration to using an AppServer.

Posted by James Palmer on 19-Dec-2014 03:36

Are there cost implications in opting for PASOE over the current OE AppServer?

James Palmer |Application Developer
Tel: 01253 785103 | Fax: 01253 785001 | Web: www.inenco.com | Twitter : @inenco
footer

[collapse]
Good point Thomas- for those who have not started to take advanted of AppServer capabilities, we would strongly suggest starting with the Pacific Application Server (PAS) for OpenEdge. The advantages over the current OpenEdge AppSever will stand on their own merits, and we also believe that the PAS for OpenEdge can make it a bit easier when contemplating application modernization and a migration to using an AppServer.

Posted by RWEBSTER on 19-Dec-2014 04:07

[quote user="Peter Judge"]

There will be a difference in the URL that exposes the REST service, but beyond that the code is portable.

[/quote]
I'm hoping the difference is minor? I dare say I'll have customers that are unable/unwilling to move to PASOE, so I'll be working in both architectures for the forseeable.

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 19-Dec-2014 05:06

Robert,

You should be ok.

For  both PAS for OE and generic Tomcats the REST service's URL may change according to the name of the deployed web application hosting it.   The relative portion of the URL that starts with 'rest/...' remains the same.

 /test1/rest/warehouse/east/status  ( deployed from warehouse.war )

           is the same REST service as

 /live/rest/warehouse/east/status     ( deployed from warehouse.war )

Posted by tbergman on 19-Dec-2014 05:28

I'm, a little confused. The PAS is being promoted here as a replacement for the existing AppServer. I've taken a look at the PAS documentation, and it appears that it only supports HTTP/HTTPS connections.

I use the existing AppServer in the following ways:

  1. From ABL clients.
  2. For WebSpeed
  3. For SOAP and REST

It looks like the PAS will easily replace the standard AppServer for SOAP and REST but what about the others?

Did I miss something in the documentation?

Thanks

Posted by Mike Fechner on 19-Dec-2014 05:34

Hi Tom,

http/https is supported by all ABL clients. Basically what earlier required the AIA/AIAS to tunnel the AppServer (TCP) protocol to http/https is now the new norm.

As the performance is better than before, I’m happy with that.

So, yes ABL clients (including WebSpeed agents) do support connection to PASOE using the –URL connection syntax.

And SOAP and REST services can also be deployed on PASOE.

Just to be complete: WebSpeed is not a component of PASOE yet. But a WebSpeed agent can connect to PASOE.

Regards,
Mike.
I'm, a little confused. The PAS is being promoted here as a replacement for the existing AppServer. I've taken a look at the PAS documentation, and it appears that it only supports HTTP/HTTPS connections.

I use the existing AppServer in the following ways:

  1. From ABL clients.
  2. For WebSpeed
  3. For SOAP and REST

It looks like the PAS will easily replace the standard AppServer for SOAP and REST but what about the others?

Did I miss something in the documentation?

Thanks

Posted by tbergman on 19-Dec-2014 06:14

Thanks Mike,

That was very helpful.

Do you know of plans to support WebSpeed?

Thanks

Posted by Rob Straight on 19-Dec-2014 06:30

It is on our backlog, and something that we are looking at seriously. As this is a future possible feature, we are limited by what we can say about if and/or when we might implement this- there are revenue recognition implications that we have to be mindful of.

I will add that we have settled on a common AppServer technology for OpenEdge, Rollbase and Corticon, so the direction of having one vs. several is clear.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 19-Dec-2014 06:32

I'll let Rob reply on that one :)

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet