Maintaining colors, etc. across multiple workspaces

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Dec-2014 10:54

I have a number of projects either on the go or in my archives. It's gotten to the point that having all the projects in one workspace has become problematic, so I've split the projects into multiple workspaces.

My difficulty is I've spent a fair amount of time customizing my workspace to my preferences. I can migrate the templates by exporting them from one workspace and then importing them back into the other workspaces. I haven't seen a way to migrate other customizations - like keyword casing and color coding - from one workspace to another.

Is there an easy way to keep the customizations in sync for a number of different workspaces?

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Dec-2014 11:14
Posted by Lieven De Foor on 18-Dec-2014 03:21

Another tip could be to use hard links for certain config files, so they are automatically in sync in each workspace (in fact there's only one file being used, with multiple pointers to it).

I've installed "Link Shell Extension" (schinagl.priv.at/.../linkshellextension.html), which makes it really easy to create soft/hard links and junctions in Windows.

I've created a hardlink for the file .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\com.openedge.pdt.text.prefs  in the workspace, which causes all color and macro settings to be shared between workspaces. Any update to the preferences is automatically available in any workspace that way (assumed they are on the same hard drive).

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Dec-2014 10:58

Does the File > Export dialog help? You can Export all sorts of things like preferences (General) there.

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Dec-2014 10:59

Ah just realised you're probably already doing this. Must read more carefully.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Dec-2014 11:04

The only item in Export Preferences I could use key bindings. I've only changed one key combination (ctrl-r for "run"), it's not much help.

Thx for the idea though!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Dec-2014 11:06

I should mention I've also exported/imported the list of database connections, and intend to maintain the connection specs as independent per-workspace entities going forward.

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Dec-2014 11:13

I've not tested this, but been doing some reading subsequent to your question as it's intrigued me. Check out code.google.com/.../workspacemechanic and see if that helps at all?

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Dec-2014 11:14
Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Dec-2014 11:22

Some ideas, more references to workspace mechanic - thx!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Dec-2014 12:20

Got WSM installed, it looks like all you need to do is

  1. Install the plugin from http://workspacemechanic.eclipselabs.org.codespot.com/git.update/mechanic/
  2. Start the "preference recorder",
  3. Make your changes,
  4. Stop the "preference recorder",
  5. Save the file,
  6. Add the file to the list of WSM tasks

WSM takes care of the rest.

The WSM task list looks like it's specific to each workspace, so it has to be added to each workspace.

Posted by Peter Judge on 16-Dec-2014 12:35

That was my impression too.

The one other thing it'd be nice for WSM to track is the installed plugins (or maybe it does).

[collapse]
Got WSM installed, it looks like all you need to do is

  1. Install the plugin
  2. Start the "preference recorder",
  3. Make your changes,
  4. Stop the "preference recorder",
  5. Save the file,
  6. Add the file to the list of WSM tasks

WSM takes care of the rest.

The WSM task list looks like it's specific to each workspace, so it has to be added to each workspace.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Dec-2014 12:37

[quote user="Peter Judge"]

That was my impression too.

The one other thing it'd be nice for WSM to track is the installed plugins (or maybe it does).

[/quote]

When I was looking through the docs, plugin tracking wasn't list as something it does right now.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-Dec-2014 12:46

Aren't plugins installed as per installation and not per workspace?

Then within a version of OpenEdge on a single workstation there is no need to worry about plugins.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet