How to refer to an extent field with LABEL Attribute of a bu

Posted by khaidirdedy on 10-Dec-2014 20:15

Hi everyone,

I am new to Progress OpenEdge.

I'm trying to get sortof like caption of the field from an array fields, in this case it was the LABEL or; COLUMN-LABEL from a field.

here is my code:

DEFINE VARIABLE i AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE VARIABLE j AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE VARIABLE hFld AS HANDLE NO-UNDO.
DEFINE VARIABLE bfHandle AS HANDLE NO-UNDO.
DEFINE VARIABLE qrHandle AS HANDLE NO-UNDO.

CREATE BUFFER bfHandle FOR TABLE "tt-table".
CREATE QUERY qrHandle.
qrHandle:SET-BUFFERS( bfHandle ).

qrHandle:QUERY-PREPARE( "FOR EACH tt-table" ).
qrHandle:QUERY-OPEN().

qrHandle:GET-FIRST( NO-LOCK ).

DO i = 1 TO ( bfHandle:NUM-FIELDS ):
    hFld = bfHandle:BUFFER-FIELD(i). /* handle the field */
    IF ( hFld:EXTENT > 0 ) THEN /* field is an array */
    DO:
      DO j = 1 TO hFld:EXTENT:

MESSAGE hFld:BUFFER-VALUE(j) VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX INFO. /* this is the field value of an array field */
        --> MESSAGE hFld:COLUMN-LABEL(j) VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX INFO. /* this is what i am trying to get for */

END.
    END.
END.

Is it possible for me to get the LABEL or COLUMN-LABEL or NAME of an Array field?

Any help and answer would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted by Marian Edu on 10-Dec-2014 23:58

Inside a buffer (db table or temp-table) there is only on label/colum-label for each field... it's still only one field even if it's data type it's an array right?

However, when used in a form each can have different label but that is a property of the widget (fill-in, combo, whatever) not of the associated buffer field.

All Replies

Posted by Marian Edu on 10-Dec-2014 23:58

Inside a buffer (db table or temp-table) there is only on label/colum-label for each field... it's still only one field even if it's data type it's an array right?

However, when used in a form each can have different label but that is a property of the widget (fill-in, combo, whatever) not of the associated buffer field.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 11-Dec-2014 00:14

[quote user="khaidirdedy"]

Is it possible for me to get the LABEL or COLUMN-LABEL or NAME of an Array field?

[/quote] Yes - you'll be using the NAME, LABEL, COLUMN-LABEL attribute of the field but without the index argument. MESSAGE hFld:COLUMN-LABEL VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX INFO. If you care about the [1] on the column-label, you'll have to add that yourself.

Posted by khaidirdedy on 11-Dec-2014 20:34

Yes, and it's conclude me that each of the array field is not an object of field, since we cannot get it's own property when we pass it as a parameter into another CLASS or PROCEDURE.

thank you, for your respond.

This thread is closed