Advisable to have multiple OE installation in the same serve

Posted by Tai Li on 04-Dec-2014 20:52

Hi All,

I have a client, whom AIX server hosting both Test and Production environments. They have installed OE10.2B into their production environment (where system variables are pointing to) and copied the OE10.2B directory into their Test environment.

Recently their application enhancement requires the use of AppServer. Is it possible that the AppServer license installed into the Test environment and running OpenEdge Explorer, all isolating to the Test environment only?

So far what I have tested, it seems that the AppServer license I can install into Test environment, but the OpenEdge Explorer seems to always starts in the Production environment because I am not able create a new AppServer monitoring object due to the licensing popup message.

The reason for the separation installation of OE is due to not causing any implication to the Production environment.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

Posted by ke@iap.de on 05-Dec-2014 04:32

Hello Tai,

I assume you have two server?

Then best is to delete OE on test and install new including AppServer. That is painless. And any dependency from host or ip is gone :)

If you have one server you must set different ports for Admin Service, OpenEdge Explorer and so on.

kind regards

Klaus

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 15-Dec-2014 03:34

It’s possible to have multiple installs of same OE on UNIX.
As Klaus pointed out you would to need to make sure to have different ports for adminserver, adminport, OEE, NS ….
The system variables DLC, PROMSGS .. should you need to set them would need to be set in the script initiating a corresponding environment or client ….

[collapse]
From: Tai Li [mailto:bounce-tantaili@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 10:14 AM
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Advisable to have multiple OE installation in the same server for multiple environments?

Reply by Tai Li

Hi Klaus,

My client only have one server. If I didn't understand you wrongly, it is possible to have multiple instances of OE products installed as per environment in the same server?

What about the system variables? How can I isolate them as per environment?

Thank you.

Regards,

Tai Li.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

All Replies

Posted by ke@iap.de on 05-Dec-2014 04:32

Hello Tai,

I assume you have two server?

Then best is to delete OE on test and install new including AppServer. That is painless. And any dependency from host or ip is gone :)

If you have one server you must set different ports for Admin Service, OpenEdge Explorer and so on.

kind regards

Klaus

Posted by Tai Li on 15-Dec-2014 03:13

Hi Klaus,

My client only have one server. If I didn't understand you wrongly, it is possible to have multiple instances of OE products installed as per environment in the same server?

Thank you.

Regards,

Tai Li.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 15-Dec-2014 03:34

It’s possible to have multiple installs of same OE on UNIX.
As Klaus pointed out you would to need to make sure to have different ports for adminserver, adminport, OEE, NS ….
The system variables DLC, PROMSGS .. should you need to set them would need to be set in the script initiating a corresponding environment or client ….

[collapse]
From: Tai Li [mailto:bounce-tantaili@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 10:14 AM
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE General] Advisable to have multiple OE installation in the same server for multiple environments?

Reply by Tai Li

Hi Klaus,

Thank you.

Regards,

Tai Li.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Tai Li on 15-Dec-2014 03:37

Hi Libor Laubacher,

I see. The script initiating for system variables are the crucial part. Noted.

Thanks guys!

Regards,

Tai Li

This thread is closed