What is the minimum OE product needed to use Data Dictionary

Posted by Tai Li on 03-Dec-2014 04:04

Hi guys,

I have came across article mentioning requiring 4GL Development System license, but not sure if this is the minimum requirement.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

Posted by Fernando Souza on 03-Dec-2014 08:20

All the products you mentioned (Enterprise/Workgroup DB, DataServer) and other runtime products allow you to run the Data Dictionary. These licenses are considered runtime licenses though so you can only get read-only access to the data dictionary by default. If you need to make changes, you need to start your session with the -rx startup parameter. Note that some options will still not be available, such as dump/load data depending on the product and some of them don't allow running  source code or updating data.

If you look at the same book you mentioned, under the Windows and Unix installation sections, there are tables under the "OpenEdge product components and subcomponents" subsection that show which products contain the Data Admin tools. So any product that installs it can run it. The functionality available will depend on the info mentioned above and on the info from the kbase referenced in one of the previous posts.

All Replies

Posted by Tai Li on 03-Dec-2014 04:23

Found this documentation (Getting Started and Installation > Installation and Configuration > OpenEdge Getting Started:Installation and Configuration > Working in the OpenEdge Environment in Windows > Windows 64-bit > Limited 32-bit client availability).

Extract from the documentation:

Limited 32-bit client availability

For local use of the Data Dictionary and Data Administration, a subset of products include the Windows 32-bit graphical client (prowin32.exe). The client is intended for single-user or loop-back database connections to perform database administration functions such as schema changes. The products that include the 32-bit client are:

* OpenEdge Workgroup RDBMS
* OpenEdge Enterprise RDBMS
* OpenEdge DataServer for ORACLE
* OpenEdge DataServer for ODBC
* OpenEdge DataServer for Microsoft SQL Server

Can I say that any installation of the above mentioned product will thus allow me to use Data Dictionary?

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 03-Dec-2014 04:34

I believe you need at least any one of the development licenses. I recently installed only "OE Studio" and I had full access to Data Dictionary. Following kbase article can be helpful:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P166195

Posted by Rohit Kumar on 03-Dec-2014 04:45

The documentation link you mention is for 10.2B release. If you are using OE 10.2B, then you should be all set.

However, if you are using another OE version, please check the appropriate "OpenEdge Getting Started: Installation and Configuration" Guide.

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 03-Dec-2014 07:15

I happen to have 4GL Development installed on my Windows machine and I can run Data Dictionary. I think 4GL Development is the most basic OpenEdge development license.

Posted by Fernando Souza on 03-Dec-2014 08:20

All the products you mentioned (Enterprise/Workgroup DB, DataServer) and other runtime products allow you to run the Data Dictionary. These licenses are considered runtime licenses though so you can only get read-only access to the data dictionary by default. If you need to make changes, you need to start your session with the -rx startup parameter. Note that some options will still not be available, such as dump/load data depending on the product and some of them don't allow running  source code or updating data.

If you look at the same book you mentioned, under the Windows and Unix installation sections, there are tables under the "OpenEdge product components and subcomponents" subsection that show which products contain the Data Admin tools. So any product that installs it can run it. The functionality available will depend on the info mentioned above and on the info from the kbase referenced in one of the previous posts.

Posted by Tai Li on 04-Dec-2014 02:54

Hi guys, you all have been providing useful information!

Thank you!

This thread is closed