Downgrade to runtime

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 21-Nov-2014 00:47

For my DataDigger I would like to know how it behaves when run in a runtime or query-runtime environment. Problem is I only have a full version of Progress installed. I recall that there is a startup option to let a full version run as a runtime or query version. Is there such a thing and if it is, what is it?

All Replies

Posted by gdb390 on 21-Nov-2014 00:59

That is -rr that you are looking for

Posted by agent_008_nl on 21-Nov-2014 03:13

community.progress.com/.../4265.dpspr.pdf  page 3-4

Greetings from Jan-Willem de Width (my neighbor) who looked it up.

--

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 21-Nov-2014 08:09

On a related note, what is the difference between -rr and -rg?  Their descriptions are quite similar to me.

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 21-Nov-2014 09:53

-rr is the Run-time client. It can't compile ABL code or make schema changes. -rg is the full ABL client. It can compile ABL code and make schema changes. There's also the Query client (-rq) which can compile ABL code which doesn't update data, can't make schema changes, and can't update records in a database.

Client Can compile  Can change schema  Can update data
Run-time (-rr)       No No Yes
ABL (-rg) Yes Yes Yes
Query (-rq) Yes* No No

* Can't compile code which contains statements which update data.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 21-Nov-2014 10:09

Thanks for that detailed explanation Matt.  It would make a great addition to the docs. :)

Posted by Frank Meulblok on 21-Nov-2014 11:26

For completeness, I'd also point out:

Encrypted Compiler Mode (-rx)

Use Encrypted Compiler Mode (-rx) to enable query or run‑time OpenEdge clients to compile encrypted source code and access the Data Dictionary to manage schema (for example: for security management and to dump or load .df files).

Requirement that code is encrypted would put it between -rr and -rg in terms of restrictions

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 21-Nov-2014 11:34

If more than one of these parameters is specified, are their restrictions logically ANDed?  

E.g. "_progres -rr -rg" can update data but can't compile or change schema?

Also, I'm not yet clear on -rg; it doesn't seem to impose any restrictions.  So if I have a development product installed, how does "_progres" differ from "_progres -rg"?

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 21-Nov-2014 13:12

If you specify more than one of them you get the last one you specified. The restrictions are not ANDed.

I'm not sure there is much point to -rg. If you are licensed to use the full ABL client you can use it without -rg. You don't get anything more by specifying -rg. You also can't override the restrictions if you're not licensed to use the full client. For example, if the license is a run-time only license (Client Networking is one example, I think) starting the client with -rg won't turn it into a full client. You'll get an error saying that you're not licensed to use -rg.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Nov-2014 13:29

But, surely that isn't entirely true, Matt.  Aren't some of them intended to provide a limited extension, like -rx?

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 21-Nov-2014 14:30

-rx doesn't extend any of the other parameters. It overrides them. In fact, it is the strongest override - it will override ones that come before it or after it. -rx lets you compile encrypted code but it can't retrieve data from a database. It's meant to be used to compile encrypted ABL code to r-code. You then run the r-code without -rx.

This thread is closed