jsdo question

Posted by agent_008_nl on 20-Nov-2014 03:48

One of my customers is using the java ZK framework for a RIA client, with progress java proxies and an openedge backend.  The java proxy is not so easy to work with. Could the JSDO be used instead of a java proxy and would it be easier to work with?

--
Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

Posted by Shelley Chase on 25-Nov-2014 08:26

We will be open sourcing the JSDO and the plan is to remove the additional charge. The exact details will be announced when finalized.

Thanks

-Shelley

All Replies

Posted by Marian Edu on 24-Nov-2014 00:47

Stefan, what exactly is the issue that you have with Java open client? The JSDO is also based on open client, the only benefit that can bring to you is the tooling in PDSOE available for it. Though, in your case think a custom (domain specific) solution will be better since that can be tailored to your specific framework but as said we need to know more about the pain first.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Nov-2014 01:18

Marian, I agree on the fact that OpenClient is easy to use (when you know how to use the client site) and great technology.

I wouldn’t position the JSDO however as an open client. The JSDO uses the REST Adapter for the AppServer (which might share code with the Java OpenClient) for communication. The JSDO as a JavaScript library is supposed to add more ProDataset like behavior to the JavaScript side.

Posted by Marian Edu on 24-Nov-2014 01:49

Hey Mike, I didn't wanted to sound like downgrading JSDO to just open client but as far as Stefan is concerned the ZK only need the data not the full 'dataset alike' object... and while the rest adapter is free the jsdo does require some extra licenses :(

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Nov-2014 01:53

“and while the rest adapter is free the jsdo does require some extra licenses :(“

Exactly. And this is because the JSDO as a client side library provides additional value.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 25-Nov-2014 00:27

Isn't it so that the rest adapter provides additional value also? That one is free. Of course everybody likes everything to be free, but in the case of the jsdo it might be good for psc too to make it free of use. O o, a slippery slope.. :-) community.progress.com/.../8471.aspx. I've not looked at the cost yet, have no idea if it's interesting for my customer.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 25-Nov-2014 08:26

We will be open sourcing the JSDO and the plan is to remove the additional charge. The exact details will be announced when finalized.

Thanks

-Shelley

Posted by agent_008_nl on 25-Nov-2014 08:28

Super, more the great!!!

This thread is closed