Managing Backup via Fathom console.

Posted by zaraijamel on 15-Sep-2014 05:37

Hello,

First of all, i am on OE 10.2B SP8 and Windows 2008 R2.

I have a set of Progress data bases i want to manage incremental and full backup via Fathom Management Console.

My strategy is as explained below:

- One incremental "Backup 10 H" at 10 AM.

- One incremental "Backup 12 H" at  12 PM

- One incremental "Backup 16 H" at 4 PM

- One Full "Backup 20 H" at 8 PM

I have to use Batch files for each time and made a job in Microsoft Scheduler(method i hate).

This strategy is applied to each one of my DBs. In fathom i should create : the number of my DBs multiplied by 4.

So my questions are:

1- Is there any way to create a single job per time (one for 10H, One for 12H...) for all the DBs like a .bat file.

2- Is it possible that Fathom auto-renames old Backup or increment with a sequences  new ones.

I wish i was able to explain the situation. I attached a 10H Backup's batch file.

And thank you in advance.

Posted by Roy Ellis on 18-Sep-2014 07:11

Hello,

1) yes but even better, you can create a single job in Fathom/OpenEdge Management to run a script to do the backups.  You would not need a different script for each time period.

2) yes you could write your scripts to rename or move older backups as you wish.  You could write different scripts or incorporate them into your backup scripts.

But let me say you are not using Fathom/OpenEdge Management to its fullest capabilities.

1) you can use Fathom/OpenEdge Management to schedule the jobs.  One script and a few jobs schedules would do it.

2) if you run the scripts from Fathom/OEMgt you could run PERL scripts over batch scripts.  PERL is embedded in the Fathom install.  PERL will give you many more capabilities over DOS-batch files.

Using PERL you could pass environment variables set in your Fathom/OEMgt job.  You could call the date function and all your backup file names could include the date and time, making them unique.

Also using Fathom/OEMgt to run the scripts you can trend the success and/or failure of the scripts and how long they run (important since as database size increase so does the backup time).  You can also have Fathom/OEMgt send an alert if a script fails and even try to re-run the script.

Hope this helps,  Roy

Posted by Jean Richert on 17-Sep-2014 04:52

Anyone could assist/guide/share?

All Replies

Posted by Jean Richert on 17-Sep-2014 04:52

Anyone could assist/guide/share?

Posted by Roy Ellis on 18-Sep-2014 07:11

Hello,

1) yes but even better, you can create a single job in Fathom/OpenEdge Management to run a script to do the backups.  You would not need a different script for each time period.

2) yes you could write your scripts to rename or move older backups as you wish.  You could write different scripts or incorporate them into your backup scripts.

But let me say you are not using Fathom/OpenEdge Management to its fullest capabilities.

1) you can use Fathom/OpenEdge Management to schedule the jobs.  One script and a few jobs schedules would do it.

2) if you run the scripts from Fathom/OEMgt you could run PERL scripts over batch scripts.  PERL is embedded in the Fathom install.  PERL will give you many more capabilities over DOS-batch files.

Using PERL you could pass environment variables set in your Fathom/OEMgt job.  You could call the date function and all your backup file names could include the date and time, making them unique.

Also using Fathom/OEMgt to run the scripts you can trend the success and/or failure of the scripts and how long they run (important since as database size increase so does the backup time).  You can also have Fathom/OEMgt send an alert if a script fails and even try to re-run the script.

Hope this helps,  Roy

Posted by zaraijamel on 03-Nov-2014 02:22

Did you find any docs or tutos? I still looking and trying if i get something i will share.

This thread is closed