OpenEdge (nee Progress) Version 1 Documentation

Posted by gus on 26-Aug-2014 08:50

The first Progress release was 2.2 in 1984, but there was a version 1 before that, in 1983. It was never released. Here, for your extreme reading pleasure, is a photocopy pdf of the documentation for Progress Version 1. Rumor has it that it was written by Joe Alsop, but this has not been verified.

Posted by jmls on 26-Aug-2014 08:56

ask-for ? (page 5, 1.5)

did that become prompt-for ?

--
Julian Lyndon-Smith
IT Director,

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 26-Aug-2014 09:03

Wow!  Good find!  Thanks for sharing Gus!

The ASK-FOR statement must have grown up into PROMPT-FOR.  Does anyone remember this syntax?  I wonder if it made it out of V1.

Kenneth S. McIntosh
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Progress
PROGRESS SOFTWARE
11 Oak Park Drive | Bedford, MA 01730 | USA
PHONE +1 781 280 3059
Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Google+

[collapse]
The first Progress release was 2.2 in 1984, but there was a version 1 before that, in 1983. It was never released. Here, for your extreme reading pleasure, is a photocopy pdf of the documentation for Progress Version 1. Rumor has it that it was written by Joe Alsop, but this has not been verified.

ProgressV1.0Doc-1983.pdf

Posted by jmls on 26-Aug-2014 09:08

the other one that caught my eye was "SINGLE-FORMAT" vs "MULTIPLE-FORMAT" on frames. Suppose that might have become [x] DOWN ?

[collapse]
[...]

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 26-Aug-2014 09:28

I've read years ago in some history document that one difference between version 1 and version 2.2 was the decision to change ASK-FOR to PROMPT-FOR.

Looks like

    "SINGLE-FORMAT" became "1 DOWN",

    "MULTI-FORMAT" became "DOWN" and

    "<n> REPEATS" became "<n> DOWN".....

Posted by Mike Fechner on 26-Aug-2014 10:46

Wow! That's big fun for reading!

I took the freedom to OCR the PDF - in case someone wants to search for "FOR EACH Customer" ...

This thread is closed