AdminService doesn't start

Posted by bart.syryn on 19-Aug-2014 03:01

Hi, This weekend we updated a client to version 11.3SP02 but we can't get the adminservice to start. I've searched the knowledge base and find many solutions, but none of those did the trick. I already removed the installation and installed OE11.3 again. I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. The version is 11.3 and it's on a Windows 2012 Server. In attachment you find the log file. I placed the admserv.log and the ads0.exp in one file logfile.txt. Any help would be very appreciated. Kind Regards Bart Syryn

Posted by Roy Ellis on 19-Aug-2014 08:47

Hi Bart,

no changing the port will only work if the port is the problem.  If the firewall is set up to not allow processes to connect to or open ports then changin the port will still fail.  If the DNS is returning an invalid address for the host name that could cause the problem.  A faulty network card could cause a problem.  IPv6 installed but not configured can cause a problem.  And probably more errors I don't know about.

1)  I would check the Windows Firewall.  I would disable it and see if it starts.  Are there any 3rd party firewalls installed?

2)  I would "ping" the systems hostname and see what it returns (maybe run an ipconfig /all)

3)  I would then force the AdminServer to start using IPv4 only (see the kbase for the exact parameters)

Lastly, I would open a tech support call, to get a dedicated person to help with the problem.

Let me know what you find, Roy

All Replies

Posted by Roy Ellis on 19-Aug-2014 07:18

Hi Bart,

the log file is indicating there is a problem connecting to the RMI port.  What else changed when OpenEdge was upgraded?  Were operating system patches added?  Did someone enable/change the firewall settings?  Were there changes to the DNS server?

Again the problem is the AdminServer is trying to bind/connect to the port 20931 on the local machine (SRVDC) and the connection if timing out, so the problem is related to a network change at the same time of the upgrade.

Hope this helps, Roy

Posted by bart.syryn on 19-Aug-2014 08:25

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your reply.

Well it seems that the problem was there already before the upgrade with version 10.2A and there were no changes to the OS when OE11.3 was installed this weekend.

I already tried to change the port to another one, but still the same problem.  If there was a problem to connect to port 20931, then another port could solve the problem. Or am I missing something here ?

Kind regards

Bart Syryn

Posted by Roy Ellis on 19-Aug-2014 08:47

Hi Bart,

no changing the port will only work if the port is the problem.  If the firewall is set up to not allow processes to connect to or open ports then changin the port will still fail.  If the DNS is returning an invalid address for the host name that could cause the problem.  A faulty network card could cause a problem.  IPv6 installed but not configured can cause a problem.  And probably more errors I don't know about.

1)  I would check the Windows Firewall.  I would disable it and see if it starts.  Are there any 3rd party firewalls installed?

2)  I would "ping" the systems hostname and see what it returns (maybe run an ipconfig /all)

3)  I would then force the AdminServer to start using IPv4 only (see the kbase for the exact parameters)

Lastly, I would open a tech support call, to get a dedicated person to help with the problem.

Let me know what you find, Roy

This thread is closed